General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PATS Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Default PATS Issues

Hi all, This is my first time posting so I will get right to it. I have a 2004 Ford Freestar with a bad computer. I got a replacement from a salvage yard which has been tested good. My issue is with the PATS system. When I try to start the car the PCM does not recognize the key. I understand this part just fine, what my question is can a locksmith program new keys in my driveway or do I need to have the vehicle towed somewhere? I would like to have this problem resolved with the lowest cost possible. My next question is if PATS works so well how do Fords get stolen? I cant believe every Ford theft is done with a tow truck.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM

A scan tool that is capable of performing the function is required to get into the PCM.
Then the replacement PCM can be programmed to function with your key. To do this your 2 keys will be required.
In the 2004 Freestar the functionality is contained in the PCM.
I would check with a local locksmith first before having the vehicle towed.
If the vehicle was runable with the old PCM could you have driven it to the locksmith or dealer?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM

You'll have to get into security access. When you do, erase the keys programmed, then go back in the menu and hit parmeter reset, then go and get out and programm the 2 keys you'll have to have.
The parameter reset is NOT a KAM reset, and is only done when one of the module that PATS resides in is changed. BOth modules must have the same code for the access to be granted. I tell people that this is like a piece of paper that is ripped in half, with each half going to one of the processors, and both halves must match. Every time the key is turned on, this is checked. And if you try with 2 different pieces of paper, they don't match.
This even holds true in the new cars, where PATS is handled by the PCM. If the reset isn't done, it won't allow the car to start. All the modules on the network must have the proper Vehicle Id Block programmed, or it's a no-go.
And if this isn't confusing enough, now the APIM is the gateway module to the nework(s) on the car, because it sits on all 3 networks. It's getting interesting...