General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Taurus won't start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Default Taurus won't start when hot

When my 2002 Taurus V-6 gets hot it won't start. It doesn't even turn over. After it cools down it starts and runs fine. I suspect a sensor or module that heats up but can't find anything about this. I had an Tempo about 10 years ago that did the same thing and it turned out to be some kind of sensor. Anybody have any ideas about this?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM

So, it's not cranking when hot? Or is it a Crank No Start, which is a different problem. If it's not cranking when hot, then check for power at the starter (hot at all times, with unlimited amperage, so watch out) on the big wire. I this sounds stupid, but I'[ve seen corrosion that would trick you. If the test light/DVOM show sucess (the light is on or b+ is availible), then move the test light to the smallest terminal on the starter. It usually has about a 16 gauge wire to it, and it's usually red with somekind of tracer. have someone else hold the car in crank. If the light comes on, the starter is not working. If the light doesn't come on, then welcome to the wonderful world of chasing the voltage. These cars have a starter relay in the Battery Distribution box, right on top of the radiator, and the relay is in there. I can't remember which one it is, but one of the relays should click when you turn the key to start. If it clicks, then take it out. Look at the side of the relay. It will have a tiny electrical schematic on it, and the pins are numbered, just for this use. If you look at the pins on the relay, all point the same way but ONE, which points differently. The one pin that points differently is the switched, supplied side of the circut that goes down to the starter motor. The pin directly across from the odd pin out is the input , hot at all times, and when the relay is energized, this circuts completes to the starter. If you jumper these 2 pins, the starter should engage. If not, then its either in the the circutry to the Trans. Range sensor (check all the fuses, also), the ignition switch, or something else is going on. Also, you can try substituting relays (they're all pretty similar; all the square black ones are the same. They're called ISO relays, and they're all the same. They're used for stuff like the horn, fuel pump, fans, etc.). Good luck!

Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 PM

Thanks greasemark I'll try what you suggest. If anyone else has imput lay it on me.