General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission position sensor? total guess, but it seems right!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Default transmission position sensor? total guess, but it seems right!

Howdy all, the flex just hit 95k last month, and a strange thing happened..turn the key? it acts just like if you turned the key if the car was in drive. NOTHING..no clicks, just...crickets....so someone said go beat on the starter. no, thats not it. but after cramming the tranny into gear and slamming BACK into park a few times? works. I have this theory that the "in park" sensor is going out? it happens now a little more fequently, maybe every 15 starts. yesterday, 2 times from a red light, got a tranny slip, always in drive, but taking off again when green it winds up and pretty smoothly goes back into gear, a couple seconds later. not sure what this is, but for some reason the term "transmission position sensing unit" starts coming to mind. like the 2 are connected??? not sure. I think maybe I need to go to an actual ford dealership for this one. :-( hoping to get out w/out spending all the xmas money. sounds scary! oh yeah, and im 1000 miles from home this week. an suggestions, tips or ideas are certainly welcome!!!

Old 11-26-2016, 12:17 AM

the transmission range switch/sensor tells the pcm/tcm what gear the transmission is in. If not in park or neutral, it will no crank. next time it happens, try starting in neutral.

You need a scan tool to view the sensor data to confirm if the switch is registering the gear position change when the lever is moved through the gear positions.