Ford Enthusiast Unofficial Resource

Go Back   Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners > General Ford Forums > General Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Ford Forum!
Welcome to Ford Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2010, 10:42 AM

Default Vibration Issue on my 2004 F-150 4x4 UPDATE MAR 16

Hi Guys...I'm a newbie on this site and have a question for you.

I have a 2004 F-150 4x4 with 80K kilometers (50K miles) and I can't get rid of a vibration issue....this all started a few months ago when i heard a distinct rattling/clicking underneath the truck...then came some vibration. Took it into the Ford dealership and was told that the u-joint was toast and that the outer tie rods were shot...note that the front end was replaced unser warranty at 43K kilometers (ball joints, tie rods, upper and lower bearings on the steering shaft). I told Ford to replace the u-joint only which they did and then told me that the vibration was still there...I also had 4 new tires installed prior to the u-joint/vibration issue along with new brakes all around... I've waited 1 month and finally decided to get the tie rods replaced this morning, along with getting the tire balancing checked, rotated the tires, and had a steering alignment done...The mechanic is scratching his head now as to what is causing the vibration .....I am heading up to Northern Ontaio for a 5 day ice fishing adventure and I just don't know what to do anymore..........ANY SUGGESTIONS?????????

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by MuskieHunter; 03-19-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to wavewarrior

their trouble shooting seems to be just start changing parts!! go to the service manager and demand a refund for labor!!! the parts you are going to have to eat but labor is another issue!! they SHOULD be factory certified and know what is the problem on that new of a truck!!! then get a second authorized dealership to continue to investigate the issue!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:59 PM

Default Update

I took my F-150 over to a buddies garage and we put it up on the hoist and then started the truck with it in gear.....I was surprised to see that the driveshaft wasn't turning true...it had a wobble in it!!

I decided to take it to a well known Drive Train shop in Ottawa....THEY REPLACED THE U-JOINT that the Ford dealership changed in November....the mechanic told me that the new F-150's (2004 and newer) have a different style of u-joint and in almost every case, the driveshaft will need to be re-balanced and Ford does not offer that service.....he said that in most cases, Ford normally tries to convince their customers, that the driveshaft needs to be replaced!!

Kanata Ford charged me $405.67 to replace the u-joint. Malmberg Co. charged me $249.81 to replace the u-joint and balance the driveshaft!...the vibratioon is gone and the truck drives great!!

I will NEVER take my truck back to the dealership or will EVER buy another vehicle from them again!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 AM

I also have a problem with my 2001 ford lariat 4x4 that had recently bought with 50k on it and i noticed that their is a slight clicking noise and alot of vibration when idoling if you have anything on this give your opinion on this plz...
Old 06-08-2011, 05:17 PM

i got a 2007 f150 at 55mph the vibration starts 65mph it stops got new tire did a rebalanced on tires but it still there dealer said all f150 from 04-09 got the same thing going on said the rear end is to light and the bed vibrat too does anyone have this going on with there truck
Old 06-11-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykathy View Post
i got a 2007 f150 at 55mph the vibration starts 65mph it stops got new tire did a rebalanced on tires but it still there dealer said all f150 from 04-09 got the same thing going on said the rear end is to light and the bed vibrat too does anyone have this going on with there truck
Did you check your u-joint and or drive shaft???
Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 AM

Default my 2004 f150 vibration fix

Been having vibrations on the freeway 60-70 mph on and off but not all the time then suddenly started haveing it from 25-40 mph. checked brakes front and rear. pads were good so I pulled the rear rotors off not knowing I had brake shoes operated by the emergency brake. took a bit to remove them and got a trick off you tube and what i found was the driver side shoes had been adjusted to close to the rotor and the passenger side was gummed up by a seal leak and was also adjusted to close to rotor and showed damage to the shoe's.
replaced the new shoes and has not vibrated at all .
ther has been no vibrating at all for a month now.
hopefully this will help some of you guys. who also didnt know we have 2 sets of brake pads and a set of break shoes under the rear rotor.
hope this helps anyone.
Troy
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieHunter View Post
Hi Guys...I'm a newbie on this site and have a question for you.

I have a 2004 F-150 4x4 with 80K kilometers (50K miles) and I can't get rid of a vibration issue....this all started a few months ago when i heard a distinct rattling/clicking underneath the truck...then came some vibration. Took it into the Ford dealership and was told that the u-joint was toast and that the outer tie rods were shot...note that the front end was replaced unser warranty at 43K kilometers (ball joints, tie rods, upper and lower bearings on the steering shaft). I told Ford to replace the u-joint only which they did and then told me that the vibration was still there...I also had 4 new tires installed prior to the u-joint/vibration issue along with new brakes all around... I've waited 1 month and finally decided to get the tie rods replaced this morning, along with getting the tire balancing checked, rotated the tires, and had a steering alignment done...The mechanic is scratching his head now as to what is causing the vibration .....I am heading up to Northern Ontaio for a 5 day ice fishing adventure and I just don't know what to do anymore..........ANY SUGGESTIONS?????????

Thanks,
Steve
The Vibration issue in the vehicle will be most probably due to aging, I heard that this issue is not repairable.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM

thanks
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmey View Post
The Vibration issue in the vehicle will be most probably due to aging, I heard that this issue is not repairable.
Hey simmey.......why don't you learn to read the entire thread??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskieHunter View Post
I took my F-150 over to a buddies garage and we put it up on the hoist and then started the truck with it in gear.....I was surprised to see that the driveshaft wasn't turning true...it had a wobble in it!!

I decided to take it to a well known Drive Train shop in Ottawa....THEY REPLACED THE U-JOINT that the Ford dealership changed in November....the mechanic told me that the new F-150's (2004 and newer) have a different style of u-joint and in almost every case, the driveshaft will need to be re-balanced and Ford does not offer that service.....he said that in most cases, Ford normally tries to convince their customers, that the driveshaft needs to be replaced!!

Kanata Ford charged me $405.67 to replace the u-joint. Malmberg Co. charged me $249.81 to replace the u-joint and balance the driveshaft!...the vibratioon is gone and the truck drives great!!

I will NEVER take my truck back to the dealership or will EVER buy another vehicle from them again!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:48 AM

Tags
2001, 2004, change, dealership, f150, f250, ford, forum, joints, mechanic, replacing, ujoint, ujoints, universal, vibration