New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

14 explorer limited engine replacement

Old 10-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Default 14 explorer limited engine replacement

So there I was, driving down the garden state parkway on a miserable, rainy Friday afternoon, doing about 73 MPH. All of a sudden my trip from the Hudson Valley new York to the Jersey shore was stopped by an engine failure about 80% into the trip.
Car was towed to a ford dealer and they graciously gave me a loner car. One week later I was told an engine was ordered, three weeks later I was told the engine arrived, but when they started taking the engine out of my car... (24kmiles on it) they saw that it had ingested water.
What???? I said!!! How is that possible. There were thousands of other cars on the same sloppy roadways. How did I, in a SUV designed in part for off the road driving, lose an engine......... where? in a puddle???
Anyway insurance company is set to see the car but, really??? Water?? I have owned 5 ford/Lincoln products before I traded my MKX for the explorer for real four wheel drive and I can't take it on a rainy highway??? has anyone had this happen to them????

Old 10-24-2016, 03:39 AM

Question is...Ingested water or coolant? Would they actually tell you if it was coolant? If actually water, then I would inspect the air filter housing to ensure that it actually has the drain hole in it. The drain hole is designed to drain water out of the housing before water can actually get past the filter as a certain amount of water gets pulled into the intake while driving when it's raining.