New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Added power steering fluid into brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Question Added power steering fluid into brake fluid

Help please! My 78 year old Mama added some power steering fluid into her brake fluid reservoir. She was having steering issues before adding the wrong fluid(recall issue which has been fixed at dealership). The service manager at dealership says the car is ready and he would let his wife drive it without hesitation, even though they didn't do anything regarding the braking system. From what I've read online, the power steering fluid in the brake lines will cause damage to all rubber components, causing brake failure, meaning the entire brake system should be replaced. 2011 Fusion is her car.

#1: Is there a way to check to see if in fact she did add power steering fluid into the braking system?
#2: If it is contaminated, what is the correct remedy?

Thank you so much for helping.

Last edited by shelleya43; 08-27-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Since it was just some added, power steering fluid tends to float on top of brake fluid because of specific gravity differences. Unless the brake reservoir was low the master cylinder may not be polluted. Yet.
That said, it needs to come out ASAP. I'd have the brake system bleed/ flushed to be certain. If you have a turkey baster, you can draw the power steering fluid and some of the brake fluid out. Be careful not to get on any painted surfaces. Refill with correct brake fluid. Repeat.

Depending on how long the PS fluid has been in the system, and whether it actually entered into the master cylinder since they don't mix well, would be the question. If it was a complete fill with PS fluid, different concern all together. Remove what you can, have it flushed. Keep a close eye for any leaks, low fluid, soft or dropping pedal. Good chance it'll be ok if it never was introduced into the system, and it's removed before it does, and quickly..

Old 08-27-2016, 02:58 PM

Thanks Hayapower. To clarify, one day last weekend, Mama says she put in about a tablespoon of power steering fluid (because the brake fluid thing was almost full). On Tuesday, the car was driven to the dealership, about 20 miles. It's still there. I'm so unsure of how to proceed from here. Assume everything will be okay, chancing brake failure while Mama is driving. Or, spend a lot of her money to fix something that may or not need fixing.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

I'd have it evacuated from the reservoir, then bleed the system till clear/clean fluid passes through.

If there's no issues now, and only a tablespoon was added to a near full reservoir, chances are there won't be any problems. Remember, the PS fluid sits on top of the brake fluid. Have the dealer evac and bleed the fluid through. By evacuating the reservoir first, it won't introduce any PS fluid on down and on through.

If any issue were to arise, chances would be very slim for instant brake failure. If a larger amount of PS fluid was introduced, and made its way into the master cylinder or on into the other control components where the seals were to be compromised, generally a leak or a soft/ mushy pedal, or a peddle that bleeds down ( meaning when depressed and held, the pedal slowly drops) would be present, or both, prior to any substantial brake application issues.

After a system bleed, actively monitor the fluid level, maybe drive the car yourself and check brake function. If both remain unchanged, I'd doubt you'll need to spend for repairs, other than normal intervals ( how many miles on the car?) . Always a good practice to monitor oil levels, coolant, belts, hoses and such for our older drivers. Really,,, at any time something can change, and actively monitoring vitals, is always good insurance to not have problems, or get stranded..

Old 08-28-2016, 07:28 PM

Thank you Hayapower for your responses! I'm calling the dealership in the morning!