New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

Engine does not Warm up E-350 351w

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Default Engine does not Warm up E-350 351w

So a little background. I have been wrenching since I was 14. I have learned a lot through books, hard way, and internet. I am 43 now so I have had the opportunity to learn a lot, but still not a mechanic by any means.

I have a 1993 Ford E-350 Clubwagon with a e4od and 351w with dual heat and a/c. I got it a few years ago for $600 from a church and was in good condition with the exception of the clutches in the trans. I changed the trans and was successful but the engine was still heating up.

I changed the radiator, thermostat, and water pump. Now the engine will warm up to 1/4 on a warm day and maybe to the lowest line on a cold day after 20minutes of idling. When going down the road it will go cold on cold days and maybe 1/2 on a warm day.

I took it apart again this summer to fix it thinking the thermostat was having issues and replaced it.

it should be of note that the bolts snapped when originally taking out the thermostat and water pump and I had to drill and tap them, it really was something of a nightmare.

I am completely confused. I check the hoses and they are still all fairly cold. I don't understand how my engine is not heating up.

This is the one thing that I am thinking and maybe someone can verify this: When I replaced the water pump, I believe I may have replaced it with a hi-flow or heavy duty water pump. I dont' really believe that coolant flowing too fast should make this a problem. I do know there are 2 schools of thought on coolant flow, but could it cool my engine too much?

Any questions or input would be great. Thank You