New Member Area New to Ford Forum? Stop in tell us about you.

New member, old truck, looking for newer (ish) van and long walks on the beach

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Default New member, old truck, looking for newer (ish) van and long walks on the beach

Sorry, the title thing just seemed like an ad in the personals.

I've owned an '87 F150 since about '96 and ~100k ago. Doing research now for her replacement as a work truck (don't worry, she won't be gone, I'll never give her up). I need the space of a van and more towing capacity so I'm looking for an E350. Not being able to find what I want I'm thinking about getting a shell (I have a '94 E350 sitting in front of my house) and building it up to what I want.

I hope I can contrubute what I know of the truck that I've loved (and sometimes hated) for the past 16 years while I look for whats next.

Thanks for having me.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Your looking for an E350, and you have in front of your house?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Your looking for an E350, and you have in front of your house?

It's not mine, I'm storing our teams sailboat in my back yard and the van goes along with it to store the sails and equipment. The boat's for sale so when it goes my partner in the boat is going to off the van, either CL or srap it himself.

It's a '94 I think and has 350k, the trans is blown (it blew up while moving the boat into my back yard), and the diesel engine is original and needs lots of help. As a shell it isn't horrible but it needs a fair amount of suspension work.

I haven't found a used van for the right price with the right miles. When the constuction market tanked there were gobs of them around here. What I do see a fair amount of is wrecked fleet vehicles with lower miles that I can get for a decent price. I could swap everything over to a van with a blown engine and/or trans but with a good body/running gear and come out ahead. Hence my research here. I need to see what is an easy swap into that van or what year shell that I should be looking for.

Or do I just keep looking for a complete van for the right price...