Off Road You go muddin' lately? Share your story. Is that ride of yours a rock climber? Show us in here.

Engine swap smog off, need advise please.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:38 AM
Default Engine swap smog off, need advise please.

Will anyone help me with what i need to do after i pull all smog off this beast .what will i need to do to get good idle and performance on a 1989 f350 with 351 windsor that i pulled from an 95 e350 van.is there a chip or a kit or any instructions to follow please any help would be great.ty
Jammins

Old 12-22-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

Are you trying to make the later motor backwards compatable or compliant with the 89, or remove all the smog equipment?

If all,
Stripping the smog equipment can create issues as well. Depending on what you remove,, you'll most likely get a CEL at the least. Or, if the later devices aren't a donor match and the PCM notices. Fuel management (trim/mixture) can be affected and may alter performance and/or fuel economy. O2 function (ranging/cycling) if missing or incorrect equipment will affect fuel management. EGR, by design is to help control/lower or cool cylinder combustion temps, and affect the intake air mix. Not so much idle conditions.
With the OE PCM/EFI removing hardware doesn't always = better power/performance and are very limited to power gains with stock hardware, and fuel drop capability with same.

When a power build attempt, Cold air intakes, free flowing exhaust, and usually a power chip may help build some extra power, but again with the stock profile PCM, cam, injector capabilities, and base engine build/components your limited.

This 350 still require smog cert? Off road etc...

Old 12-22-2016, 01:42 PM

Thanks for your quick reply hayapower .
A little more info for you and all interested .
I picked up a 1995 model e250 van with a 351 w and have put in 1989 f350 after removing smog hoses and valves for hoses all of which i still got .
Is there a chip or so place to get info on how to and what can be removed without great difficulty.thanks jammins.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to know..

Generally, the engine/s are stripped down, may be down to the long block if pan-manifold differences. Then, the correct or compliant parts are bolted back up to the engine being installed. I used to get a lot of 302 HO dismantler engines out of Mustangs etc (lots of wrecked donors) and install them into F series truck. Was more of a savings most times over a Ford reman, and worked well in trucks that were higher mileage (would never see another 100k+) or the owner planned to sell, or upgrade at a later date.
Keeping the smog compliant is a plus if you plan to sell, or require testing for registration, but the question seems to lend to removing devices, rather than making the swap using what's there, between 95-89 builds? Removing emmision control devices is illegal, not that you won't find info/vid doing so, cat rodding/deletes, 02 simulators, EGR bypass,,, But 'specific' MY/Engines that vintage may be sketchy, and can cause adverse performance and drivability with info found. Maybe more specific would be to ask what exactly you want to remove for feedback on affect...