Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Any suggestions for bluetooth car kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Default Any suggestions for bluetooth car kit?

Hello,

I just recently purchased a used 2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus. It already has Nav in it but no bluetooth. So I'm looking to get something put in that will work through the speakers and will have voice dialing capability. Anyone have any recommendations for a solid bluetooth system that has fairly good quality?

Unfortunately I was unable to find a 2008 Ford Edge SEL that was fully loaded since that would have likely come with the Microsoft SYNC system.....damn.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure about how many aftermarket units will play through the vehicle speakers without some haness connections and hardware, and/or the price,, but Ford offers their Mobile-ease plug and play setup.. http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/...~7L2Z_19G399_A

Mobile-ease hands free 7L2Z-19G399-A
Mobile-ease/Trip tunes common harness 7R3Z-14A411-AD

I have a complete unit and the adapter harness cable that was taken from an 08 F250 that the owner bought a Pariot handheld for the option of moving the unit from vehicle to vehicle.. The 08 Mobile-ease and cable interchange to the 07 Edge.. Make you a 'smoke'n deal if your interested...

Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 PM

how does the unit you have work? Do you plug it into the power/cigarette outlet? And how noticable is it? I'm actually looking for something that's not too obvious or visible so that it blends in with the interior. I want to make everything in the car look as clean as possible (work reasons).

Thanks for the feed-back.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

The Mobile- Ease is a Ford option blue-tooth 'semi active' voice commanded system.. It has a touch pad (wired but concealed for the most part) that attaches to the dash (peel'n stick') or in a position easily reachable to the driver and a small Mobile-Ease module that tucks under the dash usually over to the side of the glove box (by the passenger pillar post).. The Mobile-Ease module has a short main 'Y' harness that you un-plug the radio/audio units connector and plug in the module connector on the harness in its place.. Then,, plug the other end of the 'Y' connector back into the radio harness connector.. That way,, the module can mute the radio's audio output and play the spoken voice options/choices to you out through the vehicle speakers.. The module also has a smaller harness that runs up to the touch pad.. The mic is wired, but easy to run from the module on up behind the passenger pillar post cover panel and on over to the drivers area up along the headliner edge keeping the mic wire concealed.. Looks just like a car kit cell phone mic.. The Mobile -Ease unit takes it power input/grounds from the radio connector and has no additional connections to make.. On a quality install,, all you should see is the mic head with a short lead wire or none at all if installed up close to a panel/trim ect. and the touch pad with the same wire lead possibilities.. All depends on where you mount the two 'exposed' components, everything else is hidden into the dash.. It does take a reasonable amount of ability to install, and if you've had some experience with dash/trim work installing stereo equipment ect. not a huge challenge.. It's a plug'n play kit..

If memory serves To place a call, you only have to touch the pad key and the system will say 'Ready' and then a voice menu of commands/choices will be heard.. if you choose 'CALL' and 'lets say' speak HOME, WORK or a specific NAME the call connection will be made for you as long as your address book and voice commands are entered/saved.. Choose DIAL from the voice menu and you only have to speak the number (or a portion of) and a confirmation voice will ask if the number is correct before dialing.. Once you touch the key pad and activate the voice recognition mode you have about 10 seconds 'overall' to make a voice command choice or the system will time out.. There's an emergency button that will automatically dial a call for help or tow, and a privacy button if you need to transfer the call back to your cell, as well as a conference call option.

Any incoming calls will automatically mute the radio and the ring tone will sound.. Touch the pad key and the call is answered and is hands free mode..If I remember correctly all the setup up options are all voice commanded and entered..There's no number pad on the key pad..

The only complaints with this system I find is usually mic clarity for the person listening. In diesel applications it needs to be centered to the vehicle or over and in front of the driver to stay away from the window and the diesel noise.. Actually its a best bet to keep the mic away from the window turbulence anyway.. Mic placement/postion is very important for good transmitting..

This unit may have sold here, but may have another depending on the adapter cable..

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-23-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Default Mobile Ease

Hi,
I have a 2007 Edge that I just installed Mobile Ease in. One problem. It did two things. One it did not work. Nada, zip, zilch as in nothing. And two it took away the sub woofer from the sound system. This car has a premium sound system and I believe it has trip tunes. I can find nothing in any instructions that says anything about what to do when you have trip tunes only what to do when you don't. Any body got any ideas? This really was a pretty simple install it would be nice if it worked.