Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

Carfax rage

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Angry Carfax rage

hey everyone, i have had some pretty bad experince lately, and i just want to help people avoid the mistake i made
I bought a vehicle that had front end damage from a collision, which wasn't disclosed by the seller. And he’d shown me a CARFAX report, which also didn't show any accident records — the car was absolutely clean according to it. However, I ran a report on another website, epicvin.com, and it showed that the car was in an accident and then repaired. I don't know why this information wasn't disclosed by CARFAX, but now I'm aware that CARFAX isn’t a service that can be trusted, and I won't use it again.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

If you notice now on Carfax, it says that its only information that's 'reported' to them. They put the disclaimer at the bottom of their home page in small print..

Quote.... CARFAX Vehicle History Reports are based on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX does not have the complete history of every vehicle. Use the CARFAX search as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car

Way back, I used to buy quite a few insurance 'builders' (totals) before salvage titles came into play. I built a fair amount under the Salvage Regs. to sell, and for friends and family, but the inspections (which they always passed) were a pain, and the Salvage title hurt the cars value and most lenders won't finance a salvage vehicle. They were repaired and built to a quality standard and really no different from a vehicle that 'borders lines' an insurance covered repair..

Even with Carfax or ? report, a car can be almost totaled or a significant repair and if the owner pays for the repairs instead of turning it in to their insurance, or, does the work themselves, nothing is ever reported.. Best bet when ever making a major vehicle purchase is to have a quality shop look it over. I guarantee you,, if it was ever wrecked, a trained eye can/will always pick it out. Many times I had friends buy a car/truck, and after a quick walk around looking at the partial or complete finish, or structural panel, jamb inspection etc,, I'd tell them,, you know it was in an accident? The look I always got ;(

Sorry about your experience, hopefully the repair wasn't substantial...

Last edited by Hayapower; 04-16-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:05 PM

Agreed with you.. !!