Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

I want a dually, but don't need it..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 10:29 AM
Default I want a dually, but don't need it..

So I'm a 16 year old male and I'm looking at a 1995-7 Ford F-350 extended cab dually with the 7.3 diesel. My dad currently has a 2002 Ford F-350 crew cab 7.3 dually and I've driven it a couple dozen times and have gotten used to the width and how big I am, parking, narrow city streets, and have grown a liking to it. Figured I'd go for the extended cab because the back seats won't get much use, plus shaving down length a little. I've grown up with dually fords ever since I was a baby and always liked how they look, feel when driving, how stable and rugged the ride is, and the ability to carry almost anything and everything with ease. But for the first few years of owning it, I won't really be using much of the work capabilities. Mainly just driving to school and back or some long trips on the weekends. I also thought that if I get the 7.3 my dad could help me with maintenance and such from the experience he's had owning duallies all the time for more than 20 years. But that's because he had to haul a gooseneck horse trailer those years too. I don't know, I'm thinking of just getting a 95-7 regular cab F-250 7.3 just to shave the width down and make it easier to drive around, but damn do those Ford duallies look good.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site, I/we missed your post..

Sounds like you have a plan!
Certainly a stout rig. Fuel MPG is going to be less with the dually for sure, but the carrying/load numbers and stability of a dually is something to consider. A 250/350 manual SRW is a nice combo, and decent mileage. Early 7.3 had some injector o ring issues, and they had UVC (under valve cover) harness and connector burn/fail issues. With 20 years of hands on, might already be known. Always good insurance to hear a 7.3 start up quick, idle smooth and stable right out of the gate, cold or warm.

If you find any candidates, post up some images. We like images..

And again, Welcome aboard!