Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

new car warranty

Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 AM
Default new car warranty

Just purchased a 2014 Mustang GT...and chose not to accept their ESP coverage offer (based on assumption I can find a more competitive price elsewhere). Appreciate any advice on where best pricing can be found.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 AM

Purchasing an extended warranty would be your call.

I have never purchased one. The biggest repair bill I ever had was on our 1992 Aerostar for the A/C system that died at 78,000 miles. It cost me around $600 for the repairs (before the internet was booming). Had I purchased an exteneded warranty, the repair would have cost me about $1200 (cost of the warranty) + what ever the deductable would have been. The cost of the warranty has to come into the cost factor of your 1st warranty repair.

Example being, say you're out of the factory warranty and you need a new alternator ($300 open market and replace it yourself). You purchased an extended warrany and went with the $100 deductable one because it was cheaper (say $1500) and took the vehicle to Ford to have it repaired. Non-Ford warranty will most likely be a pain to get paid. Anyways, it get repaired. Cost: $1500 + $100 = $1600 for a $300 alternator.

Unless you plan on abusing the vehicle, the factory warranty should be enough. If you don't purchase one, don't worry as Ford will send you mailings to purchase one along with every other company with their "FINAL NOTICE" scare tactic mailings to purchase an extended warranty. Trust me...We get them all the time for our 2010 MKZ.

Come to think of it, I got one from a bone head company for our 2004 Freestar shortly after having the safety recall performed in the beginning of April because it was just under 10 years/175000 miles. We purchased it new 4/26/2004. Wonder where they got their information from?...

Like I would buy an extended warrany at that time for a vehicle with 163,000 miles on it and 9 years, 11 months and 15 days old. But hay, there's peiople out there and that's what these companies are fishing for.

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 09-02-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 AM

Very good perspective...thanks for sharing your experiences. Best quote I've received so far is from Ford ESP Extended Warranty | Warrick Ford Warranty Online. Contact is Mike Potts, the dealership owner. Internet pricing MUCH more competitive than pricing through my dealer.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:29 AM

warranty sellers, like health insurance companies are there to make money. They know the mean time to failure for every component and set the warranty period accordingly. Its like betting against the house in Vegas.

IMO unless you have a major powertrain component failure, its not worth it. I have seen customers pay $2000 for warranty packages only to find it does not cover certain components. Some charge $100 deductibles with each repair. try reading through the large number of pages of fine print...no thanks.

Keep your $ and when a repair comes along, use that.

The mustang is not a lemon. As long as you do not abuse the car; keep your $$ for maintenance.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:07 PM

Well said Primem.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:43 PM

Just got a 2014 FLEX. It just came 'off lease' from a rental company. It has 42kmiles so it's out of bumper to bumper warranty. Can anyone tell me if/what powertrain warranty is left? thx

Old 12-03-2015, 04:46 AM

Factory powertrain is 5/50,000, so you would have the balance of that warranty. The 5 years will be from the in-service date. Unless you were provided a longer warranty from where you purchased it from. An example being, our 2007 Focus came with a 90 day warranty, but a Lifetime engine/transmission warranty thru the Dealership that I deal with and purchased from.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Use Common Sense
but a Lifetime engine/transmission warranty thru the Dealership that I deal with and purchased from.
wish I could negotiate that kind of warranty into my next car purchase. who cares about the small stuff, its the expensive stuff (engine/trans) I want warranty on. Bravo sir!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:11 AM

That was about 3 years ago when Ford Dealers were pushing the "Ford Certified Used Vehicle" thing pretty heavy. We had taken our MKZ to Arizona and left it at our house there and needed a "Zippy-Mobile" (as I call it). The warranty meant nothing to me as I figured here in WNY, that it will fall apart from the salt long before the engine or transmission even starts to have issues.

Also. I just ordered and purchased my new 2015 F-150 Lariat (Very pricy critter) and didn't get an extended warranty. I listen to my vehicles and take care of them. Right now I'm chasing suspension groans on the Focus (suspect OEM rubber bushings).

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 12-07-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:16 AM

Sorry to be off topic, but this is also about insurance. We recently moved into a new home and yesterday we received a call from a Select Home Warranty representative offering us a warranty agreement for appliances and life coverage systems. Is anyone already working with them? Tell me how their service works and how reliable it is? I look forward to your feedback!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new car warranty