Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. Just about anything goes.

synthetic vs regular OIL.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Default synthetic vs regular OIL.

I just bought a 2005 ford f-150 with the 5.4l triton with 73,000kmnow i was wondering your thouhts on synthetic oil andregular oil when i changed the oil i putinMobil Super 10005w20Conventional Motor Oil. myself but i wanted to know what you guys putin your vehicals. also do you guy know on weather it safe to use stp oil additive in these motors. and fuel injector cleaner.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:55 AM
Default RE: synthetic vs regular OIL.

Hiii greuelc.

Conrgrat for a new
2005 ford f-150.

A site on auto news will solve all your quiries realated to cars.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Default RE: synthetic vs regular OIL.

I'm using Mobil-1 syntetic oil, it is good for me.

i have ever used fuel injector cleaner and it works well. stp oil additive, i've never tried it.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by greuelc
I just bought a 2005 ford f-150 with the 5.4l triton with 73,000kmnow i was wondering your thouhts on synthetic oil andregular oil when i changed the oil i putinMobil Super 10005w20Conventional Motor Oil. myself but i wanted to know what you guys putin your vehicals. also do you guy know on weather it safe to use stp oil additive in these motors. and fuel injector cleaner.
in my experience and research, most of the branded synthetics are better for your engine than the OEM natural product.
additives, such as STP, do nothing at best. they can cover up existing problems. FWIW, STP was a research topic in a class, where it was provided as an example of a marketing success - it did nothing for the consumer, but people bought it because marketers/sales guys, etc., created a market for it.
FWIW, I'm using royal purple in mine. I started using Mobil One almost as soon as it came out, but I've kept an eye on the new ones and recently decided to switch.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:25 AM

This post is 13 years old. It should be burried.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by raski
This post is 13 years old. It should be burried.
why? _

Old 07-08-2022, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by joethefordguy
why? _
Oil has come a long way since 2008. If someone has an oil question, it would probably get more attention starting a new thread.

Old 07-08-2022, 04:56 PM

There are many different opinions regarding use of synthetic motor oil in a vehicle.

Some say it will create leaks that the vehicle didn't have before adding full synthetic while others say it was going to leak there anyway sooner or later.

I presently use full synthetic motor oil in my vehicles and one of those gents was correct. Now they both have oil leaks and neither has leaked before.

There is something to starting to use synthetic from when new before miles have accumulated. I do use full synthetic in all equipment .

One vehicle has around 89,000 miles the other 149,000 mi.

Lets see what some other folks have to say and if they can tell us at what mileage they switched to full synthetic and if they noticed any problems.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:49 PM

STP made sense with very high mileage vehicles in the 1960's and older. If your truck has more than 100,000 miles and you need to add oil between changes then there are special motor oils referred to as "High Mileage" on the container.

Synthetic motor oils are needed to provide adequate protection for the bearing surfaces when using a 0W-20W or 5W-30 oil with engines produced in 2017 and later years. Prior to 2017 the engines are ok with dino oils or synthetic blends. Man post 2017 engines can also use a synthetic blend if this is specified in the owner manual.

If you lost the manual then you can download one and find all the maintenance information you need. This takes all of 5 minutes. What someone is using in their truck is worthless information. If it is the wrong motor oil they will not learn of this or many miles and if they are using a more expensive motor oil based on ads in truck magazines that is their gullibility and not useful information.

If the oil is SAE approved then it is as good as any other oil used for gas engines. Diesel engines are quite different as they burn very dirty fuel and this puts a lot of soot in the motor oil and various contaminents and the additive mix is meant to deal with this and protect the engine. Same advice about not spending more than is necessary as the Pennzoil and Valvoline diesel motor oils are as good as Red Line and considerably better than Amsoil in terms of the additive mix.

Not really rocket science although the marketing people pushing very expensive products like STP and Amsoil would have you believe otherwise.

When the refineries stopped putting toxic tetraethyllead in gasoline engine life doubled which was not a surprise for auto engineers as this was known in the 1930's. An engine with 73K miles on it is not an "old" engine or a high mileage one. Use whatever weight oil that the manual specifies and no additional additives are needed that are not all ready in the oil on the shelf.

Fuel injector cleaner is not going to harm the engine but is useful to remove buildup on the injectors which need to provide a very fine spray of fuel to have maximum combustion.

Old 07-11-2022, 05:58 PM

There are various detergents in gasoline. Most fuel injected engines do just fine with regular unleaded gasoline.

You can try a tankful of premium gasoline every 3rd or 4th tankful and that will clean injectors.
Dirty fuel can create injector problems, but the real culprit is the hot soak when the engine is shut down and the injectors get baked and the residue does plug injector orifices that are very small and as stated in an earlier post this "coking"can plug those openings. Not everyone wants to spend the $$$ for premium , but they will spend it on additives, go figure. Maybe they just were not aware of using premium gasoline to clean the injectors.

Quick Reply: synthetic vs regular OIL.