Wiring problem in '64 Galaxie

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 09:38 AM
Default Wiring problem in '64 Galaxie

Hello Fellow Fordophiles! I've got a problem that is causing me to scratch my head in places I didn't know it could itch! I'm in the finals of a restoration of my '64 Galaxie. The engine is wired and runs very well. I have the original harness in the car...it was in good shape and not cut up or dried out, from what i could tell. I did replace the generator with a one-wire alternator. I went from the alternator directly to the solenoid, while eliminating the wires that formerly ran from the generator. I then connected the 12 ga. wire that is black with a yellow stripe from the voltage regulator to the positive terminal of the battery. Charges fine. Engine runs. Problem arises when I go from the voltage regulator to the dash. Schematic shows 12 ga. wire, black with yellow stripe goes through connector on firewall and feeds light switch directly. I got power to the connector but no lights or other power coming from the fuse panel. So, I bypassed the connector and went directly into the black with yellow striped wire going to light switch...still nothing. So, I figured ground right? Put a new ground strap from firewall to intake per factory....no change. Then put another strap from firewall to frame. No change. No power to light switch (new) dimmer (new) or back to fuse panel, which schematic shows is fed back from light switch by a black wire with a white stripe. Craziest thing (besides me) is that hte "jumper" wire that I used to bypass the connector, lights a test lamp on the engine side but won't light the test lamp inside the car! How is that even possible? Sorry about the long post but I wanted to give ya'll all the information I had. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could be missing? I know Fords are sensitive to grounds, but I think I have gone out of the way to ground the body properly. One more thing....headlamps are new and wipers, instrument lights, cig lighter or dome lights do not work. There is no power to fuse panel, but I changed all fuses. Again, I am stumped....

Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 PM

smiiisam

Did you correct the problem?