Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

2000 Windstar 3.8L Rough Idle When Starting Warm Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Default 2000 Windstar 3.8L Rough Idle When Starting Warm Engine

Hello. I have a 2000 Windstar 3.8 liter that mostly runs great, except that when the engine is warm and has sat less than one hour, upon starting the engine stalls, or runs rough, and acts much like you would expect a bad idle air control valve to behave. Sometimes the problem does not occur for months. Sometimes it is persistent for a week or so and then goes away. When the rough running happens, it lasts about 15 to 30 seconds, and it is very noticeable and there is no way you can drive the vehicle, sometimes it stalls. Then it sort of clears up and is fine. This happens in Park and Neutral, and shifting into a gear does not change anything. No error codes are thrown.

So far I have done the following:
1. New intake gasket, seals, and cleaned out all 6 EGR ports.
2. New DFPE sensor.
3. New idle air control valve.
4. New throttle position sensor.
5. IMRC appears to work OK, replaced all the bushings
6. EGR appears to function properly.
7. New plugs.

The van runs perfectly other than when it has this warm starting issue. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by TXmudman; 02-22-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:54 AM

Just out of curiosity are you in the habit of filling the gas tank to the very top ? If so , that is the cause. Now the remedy will be to correct the damage.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Just out of curiosity are you in the habit of filling the gas tank to the very top ? If so , that is the cause. Now the remedy will be to correct the damage.
Thanks. I always fill the tank. The idle problem is less likely to occur when the tank is low. Is this a vapor recovery system issue? What is damaged?

Old 02-23-2015, 11:30 AM

The "Evap System" as you are aware contains a charcoal canister to capture the vapors when filling the tank with gasoline. When the conditions are as designed the purge valve is supposed to open and those vapors are supposed to get sent to the intake to be burned. It is possible the purge valve could have a problem, but overfilling the tank sends liquid gasoline into the charcoal granules and renders them ineffective and also loads the intake with additional gasoline affecting idle quality.
The correct remedy is to replace the canister and stop putting gasoline into the tank when the nozzle first shuts off , if full. It is a common problem and not overfilling the tank will prevent the problem.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:16 PM

The "Evap System" as you are aware contains a charcoal canister to capture the vapors when filling the tank with gasoline. When the conditions are as designed the purge valve is supposed to open and those vapors are supposed to get sent to the intake to be burned. It is possible the purge valve could have a problem, but overfilling the tank sends liquid gasoline into the charcoal granules and renders them ineffective and also loads the intake with additional gasoline affecting idle quality.
The correct remedy is to replace the canister and stop putting gasoline into the tank when the nozzle first shuts off , if full. It is a common problem and not overfilling the tank will prevent the problem.
Thanks Hanky. I will buy a new charcoal canister and replace the old one. I'm assuming that the canister is somewhere under the vehicle? Can you point me to the location of the purge valve? You've been very helpful and it is appreciated.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:17 PM

The purge valve is located in the engine compartment usually up near the firewall. It should have 2 vacuum hoses and an electrical plug. One hose comes from the canister and the other goes to the intake manifold. If you google canister purge valve 2000 Ford Windstar you should be able to see a pix and that should help to know it when you see it. It should be normally closed and the PCM makes the ground for it to open and purge the canister. If you follow the one hose it should lead you to the canister.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 AM

The purge valve is located in the engine compartment usually up near the firewall. It should have 2 vacuum hoses and an electrical plug. One hose comes from the canister and the other goes to the intake manifold. If you google canister purge valve 2000 Ford Windstar you should be able to see a pix and that should help to know it when you see it. It should be normally closed and the PCM makes the ground for it to open and purge the canister. If you follow the one hose it should lead you to the canister.
I will replace the charcoal canister, and then the purge valve if the problem persists. I will also try not filling the tank all the way.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 AM

There is no need to replace the purge valve unless you know for sure it is stuck open. You can verify that by trying to blow through one of the ports on the valve. If it is not energized , it should be closed and you should not be able to blow air through it. If you can than it is stuck open and should be replaced.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:02 PM
Default I have same vehicle with same problems

Originally Posted by TXmudman
Hello. I have a 2000 Windstar 3.8 liter that mostly runs great, except that when the engine is warm and has sat less than one hour, upon starting the engine stalls, or runs rough, and acts much like you would expect a bad idle air control valve to behave. Sometimes the problem does not occur for months. Sometimes it is persistent for a week or so and then goes away. When the rough running happens, it lasts about 15 to 30 seconds, and it is very noticeable and there is no way you can drive the vehicle, sometimes it stalls. Then it sort of clears up and is fine. This happens in Park and Neutral, and shifting into a gear does not change anything. No error codes are thrown.

So far I have done the following:
1. New intake gasket, seals, and cleaned out all 6 EGR ports.
2. New DFPE sensor.
3. New idle air control valve.
4. New throttle position sensor.
5. IMRC appears to work OK, replaced all the bushings
6. EGR appears to function properly.
7. New plugs.

The van runs perfectly other than when it has this warm starting issue. Any help will be appreciated.
hi my name is Jesse I have same vehicle with same problems have you found out anything elts