Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

2002 Windstar airbag/airbag light question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Question 2002 Windstar airbag/airbag light question

I recently was working on my van and had the battery disconnected and when I reconnected it soon after I noticed the airbag light was on (to be honest not sure if it was on before as the steering wheel blocks it while driving but I have read that sometimes disconnecting the battery triggers the light). The light flashes 23 for a code which through google searches a few results say it is a problem with the front passenger airbag but more say it means the memory clear circuit is improperly grounded . If it is the latter which module is it referring to and where it is located - hopefully it is not under the car exposed to the elements like the abs/traction control module is Also - is this module bench repairable ( I am experienced in electronics so should be able to fix a bad ground) or is in one of the modules where the circuits are encased in epoxy?

I read on some sites that you need a special code reader to reset the the airbag light but on the airbag solutions site it said that on Fords before 2005 the airbag light should reset itself ( and if so how long does it take) - anyone know which it is?

Any and all info on this would be greatly appreciated. I realize that some will say that I should get this to the shop right away as it is unsafe which if I did a lot of highway would be true but I mainly use it to go to work which is only a a couple miles away and to haul things home. I used to own a Focus Wagon and loaded it up with garden soil and was almost doing wheelies all the way home.

Henry