Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Driver's power window will not go up

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Default Driver's power window will not go up

I have a 93 Aerostar with power windows, the driver's side will not go up (currently it's at the full down position). This happened once before but was able to pry against window while at the same time actuating the switch and it worked then, but no joy now. There is no problem with the passenger side.

When I actuate the switch I believe I hear the motor TRY to work, at the same time I notice the ammeter drop as if a load is placed on the electrical system, so I don't believe it's the switch (and maybe not the motor as well)...could the window be bound up somehow? If so, what can I do to free the window up?

Or has the motor finally died? Is the motor the same as the regulator, which I believe my Haynes manual calls it?? And how much should one cost/how hard are they to replace?

Any helpful thoughts/ideas appreciated, thanks in advance!

Old 10-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Default RE: Driver's power window will not go up

Sounds like it just may be bound up frome age/use. I would start with pulling the door panel off to see if the scissor arms are free moving and the grease on the plastic slides and pivot points isn't all gummed up. The motor and regulator are seperate items. Most motors come new or reman'd without the regulator. The motor is easily replaced. Once you disconnect the motor, I would chech and see if the window goes up and down just fine. Clean all old grease off of everything and regrease with plain ole' petroleum jelly as it will not bund up in cool/cold weather, will stay put and you don't want a high viscocity lubricant on the pivot point and scissor teeth.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Driver's power window will not go up

Thanks for your input! I disconnected the window from the regulator arm (those rivets are a pain to remove with the window full down, BTW) and the window moved freely up and down, so then I removed the regulator and motor and separated them.

The regulator moves freely, as does the motor in both directions, BUT the motor's gear teeth are severely worn, I believe that may be the problem (the motor's gear teeth were probably not engaging the regulator's teeth sufficiently). Looking into getting a replacement motor and some 1/4 steel bolts/washers/nuts to replace the rivets I had to remove...any other thoughts?