Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

AC/Heater Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Default AC/Heater Issues

This summer I completely replaced my AC (new compressor/front lines/etc). I had trouble with the back air following so I replaced the "door" in the back unit and also wound up having to have the lines cleared completely. I noticed that if I put the AC temp slide for the front all the way to cold, there would be a "clicking" noise in the dash area. So, I simply slid it over just a bit to stop the clicking. Now that cooler weather is here, the back heat works fine. But, I cannot get any hot air to come out of the front heat or defroster. The air is very cold and seems to be coming from the AC vents. I hear the clicking noise when I move the front temp slide. Is there a front "door" that might be stuck, and can a novice like me correct the problem. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Default RE: AC/Heater Issues

ORIGINAL: fbc3097

This summer I completely replaced my AC (new compressor/front lines/etc). I had trouble with the back air following so I replaced the "door" in the back unit and also wound up having to have the lines cleared completely. I noticed that if I put the AC temp slide for the front all the way to cold, there would be a "clicking" noise in the dash area. So, I simply slid it over just a bit to stop the clicking. Now that cooler weather is here, the back heat works fine. But, I cannot get any hot air to come out of the front heat or defroster. The air is very cold and seems to be coming from the AC vents. I hear the clicking noise when I move the front temp slide. Is there a front "door" that might be stuck, and can a novice like me correct the problem. Thanks for any help.
Hello and Good day:

Sorry for the delay,,,,,Do the basic...check the thermostat....Raditor Flush....Your Heater Core may be Clog...if so you will need to Flush it out.
This DOOR thing I'm not clear on...you replaced the Door cover over the Rear Heater?....What Front Door are you talking about??
Please advise.
thanks.....6

Old 10-26-2008, 04:35 PM

[8D][8D]One more thing...What type of Vehicle is this??? what year,,,make..etc....the Basics

Old 12-19-2008, 08:39 AM

I seem to be getting the same "clicking" noise in the front blower. It doesn't matter if you slide the temp slider back and forth it will still click. Can anybody help out with this? It is getting cold out and I need the heat to defrost the windows.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:41 AM

My van is a 2002 windstar lx.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 AM

I have a 1998 winstar and my heater only works after ive been doing 55mph or faster for about a half an hr and when i slow down below 45mph the heat suddenly turns cold again. What can i do to fix this?

Old 12-23-2008, 06:29 PM

After researching the internet I found out what that clicking noise ended up being.The clicking noise was a gear that was broken in the air door actuator.Thisis what contols the temperature in the van when you usthe temp. slider. If you need pictures of this I found it on automotivehelper.com.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:11 PM

Hello
Where did you find the info regarding the gear the door actuatator, i went to the website come up empty, sounds like i may have the same issue.
Thanks
Chris

Old 07-03-2014, 12:38 PM

I believe that I have the answer to your problem! About $100 to do it yourself...read on. Sounds like the blend door and you can do it yourself without removing the HVAC duct or disconnecting the heater core or evaporator.

I know that this is a really old thread, but I ran across it while looking for some advice about replacing my AC compressor. I have a 99 Windstar and I had a similar problem where I could get AC fine, but no heat. I first checked the blend door motor/actuator thinking that it had died and wasn't adjusting the blend door when I turned the temperature blend ****. The radio has to be removed to access the blend door motor on my 99 and mine turned out to be working just fine. My problem was that the plastic blend door in the HVAC plenum or duct was broken. There is a simple fix using a nail that you can find on the internet if the door is not badly damaged, but mine was badly damaged. The actual shaft that the motor slides into was busted. This is a very expensive repair at the dealer ($1,000 or more!) as they have to disconnect the cooling system (heater core) and the AC system (evaporator) and completely remove the HVAC duct from the van to replace the door. There was no way I was going that route. I found a better solution which was:

HeaterTreater™

This website sells an improved blend door with a metal shaft that will not wear out like the OEM plastic one did. I think the part was around $100 and I bought it off of eBay from them for a little less than just getting it from their website. They have videos showing how to repair various blend doors and it was extremely helpful.

Hope this helps somebody!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 PM

fbc3097, when you replaced your AC compressor did you remove it from above or below? I'm about to have to replace mine and the manual I have does not specify and isn't very helpful. Thanks!