Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

backflush cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Default backflush cooling system

what is the best way to backfush a 98 windstar 3.8 litre.? im not going to change the the thermostat ,because im not having any problems so far with it and it as you know is a ------- to get to until i have to. i would like to clean out the whole system. i have done this. but not for years and i really dont remember that much about it. any help would be appreciatted.

[/align]

Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Default RE: backflush cooling system

The best way is to bet the flush kit, however that requires access to heater hoses, cutting and inserting the adptors, and that is not so easy as they are up against the firewall. The trick I have done for years is the drain, fill, drain, fill. You can drain the cooling system (except for water jackets) by opening the drain **** on the radiator, fill with fresh water and run engine, I usually only run it about 5 minutes the first time around. I repeat this again usually the water comes out very light in color. I fill it again and let it run until thermostat opens, let it cool and drain again. I then fill radiator withcoolant and until full, without engine running. I start the engine and top off with 50-50 mix, let in run and check the coolant protection level (float ball tester), draining and adding water or straight coolant as needed to achieve 4 to 5 floating ***** with the tester. I have not had any cooling problems with my cars....1992 Grand Am 1st flush at 90k drove car to 193k.
PS: It is also a great time to change hoses...........cheap insurance. Just remember to wipe the tank outlets down clean before installing new hose and recheck the clamps after a week, the plastic tanks on these newer carsget slick with coolant on them and the hoses can work lose if not re-tightened.