Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Default changing spark plugs

I have a 1996 Windstar V6 3.8 litre. How do I change the back 3 spark plugs? They are hard to get to and I am doing this work in my back yard.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 PM
Default RE: changing spark plugs

your brave i havent had the pleasure of doing it from the ground always on a hoist if you have long arms and patience the one on the right hand side you can get from the wheel well area good luck

Old 12-12-2005, 01:40 PM

It is late for your problem. I am posting my experience in case someone else might have the same problem. I replaced my rear spark plugs on my 1998 Windstar 3.0L from the top after removing the antenna, windshield wiper arms, cowl covers (both upper and lower), and air manifold on the passenger side. It will clear the way and you can reach them by the left arm with an universal joint on the spark plub socket. It is not hard but takes time.

TP

Old 12-12-2005, 08:59 PM

or put it on a hoist and takes 10 minutes

Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM

A similiar question for a 1994 Aerostar, 3.8, V6.

At 243,106 miles, I figured I would replace the distributor, rotor, and spark plugs on my recently inherited van. The cap, rotor and the front four plugs were difficult to replace but the rear plugs are - impossible.

The front four plugs can be reached using a swivel at the spark plug socket and three to four ratchet extensions and going over the front tires. It was slow going but doable.

I asked the service manager at the Ford dealership and his reply was, "...a 94? I doubt that any of our mechanics have ever seen a van this old." I asked a mechanic and found out the service manager was right!

Can someone please tell me how to replace the two rear spark plugs?

R

Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 AM

Aerostars don't come with a transverse engine where you'd have to reach the "rear" plugs. I also don't remember any Aerostars coming with a 3.8 engine, so I'm going to go on the assumption that you actually have a Windstar.

The easiest way I've found is to remove the windshield cowl, upper and lower. That will give you clear access to anything you need to work on back there.

Old 01-21-2006, 10:15 PM

frdtek05,

Sorry for the typo. It is a 3.0 not a 3.8.

Maybe removing the windshield cowl on a Windstar give access to "anything you need to work on back there" but certainly does nothing for my 94 Aerostar.

For the record, I was able to get to the right rear plug by pulling onto ramps and crawling underneath. Now that I know the right combination of tools to use, I guess I could probably replace this plug in about 15 minutes.

The left rear plug remains the impossible one.

R

Old 02-02-2006, 10:56 AM

back in the day some of the old dodge's with a big block , you had to remove both front tires an use a bumper jack , to lift the body off the suspenion, to get to the rear plugs,

an if you had a stang with a 429 , you had to cut holes in the inner fenderwell, an then install rubber plugs in the holes

Old 05-19-2006, 09:13 AM

This is a bit late for a follow up...but....I have done the spark plugs twice on my '98 windstar (3.8), two different ways! The first was to wrestle with two of the back three plugs from below by twisting my hand and arm up along the pan/firewall. This was difficult and time consuming. The other plug, #1, can be reached by snaking your arm up and over the enigine from the passenger side of the engine compartment. total time was about 2 hours.
The second way was much easier and faster. I removed the intake plenum and swung it to the side in order to access the back three plugs! This method allowed enough room to fit my hand comfortably, with a socket and wrench. Of course you will need to pick up a plenum gasket set. This is a set of o-ring type seals. These are now available at auto supply stores. However, if you can't find one, your Ford dealers can find a set. Total time for this method was just over an hour!