Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

a little a/c tech / info not a question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:53 PM
Default a little a/c tech / info not a question.

The wife was complaning about a noisy blower motor and low vent air output ,always had the blower on high.I know my a/c system is in good shape did a rebuild about 2 years back and I dont have any excessive vacuum leaks so pulled the blower motor to find the bearings were good but the blades were coated with dirt causing an imbalance or hum,cleaned the fan or blades and that cured that problem.took a look at the evaporator and it was about 80% blocked with dirt / hair etc ,windstars have a outside cabin air intake filter but not a inside intake filter so when your on max or recirculate its unfiltered so any dirt or debris from in the cabin can get sucked in .pulled the blower resistor block for better access and took a soft toothbrush soap and water and did a scrub and flush,Dont use anything that can puncture the evaporator they are a huge pain to replace.also make sure your evap case drain is clear .that made a huge difference no more motor hum and the airflow will pin you back in the seat .The fan speed switch now stays in # 1 or 2 because it cools down so quick.Pardon my long wind but if it helps someone out its worth it.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:13 PM

Thanks!
I don't have the Windstar anymore but that would explain the gradual loss of cooling efficiency. I bet there is no filter on the rear A/C either.

Actually your post should be placed in General Tech as well. This happens pretty much in every car.

Last edited by bluewind; 09-02-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:08 PM

Bluewind , I think you are correct about the rear air also not having a filter .Its been alot of years since I had that left rear panel off .I will probably clean that rear evap soon just because and will post for sure ,no air flow issues from the rear yet.Sorry to hear you sold the winny hopefully you will still hang around as your vast knowledge and good old common sense are invaluable to us winny owners,