Windstar/Aerostar The beginning of the minivan for Ford.

Which transmission sensor is the culprit?

Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 PM
Default Which transmission sensor is the culprit?

Friend of mine has a 2001 Windstar with a problem, i checked out the basics...
No odometer, just dashes
No speedometer.
OD/OFF light flashes when vehicle is in motion.
Codes read....
P0500
U1039
Tested the instrument cluster, gauges sweep fine.
Transmission appears to shift OK but no OD.
Checked fuses, they appear OK.

My question is which sensor on the transmission would be the most likely suspect, the transmission input sensor or the transmission output sensor (VSS)?
Im thinking the output sensor is the most logical but need some advice and and another opinion or confirmation as to which to test and if confirmed defective how difficult is it to replace the output VSS sensor on these vehicles as i haven't had the opportunity to get under it yet for a look-see?

Thank you in advance for any help and advice!.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 PM

Anyone know exactly which sensor??, anyone?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:11 PM

Had a chance recently to drive the vehicle on the highway and it appears to have overdrive as the rpm's on the highway traveling at 65 mph (GPS provided speed) are just at 2k despite the OD light blinking on and off.
Since then i have not had an opportunity to try and ohm out the output VSS on the tranny but will be working on other items on the van soon and will try to accomplish the task.
Ive been doing some reading and there's also a possibility the ABS module could be causing most of the issues? It has been exhibiting for a few years the abs and parking brake light intermittently.

Any input on that??!!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 PM

Had an opportunity to further diagnose the issue and i found fuse #10 blown out so i probed the fuse port with an ohm meter.... found 12 volts on one side and a short to ground on the other side.

This fuse controls all the items that are not functioning including the ac!.

When i next have a chance I'm going to take a closer look at the brake pressure switch, disconnect, and see if its the culprit or not?.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

Could be anything in the list.

Fuse blows instantly without applying any option/load?

Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Could be anything in the list.

Fuse blows instantly without applying any option/load?
Blows instantly as soon as voltage is applied, and my ohm meter verified a direct short to ground on the left leg of the fuse, 12volt dc on the right leg of the fuse.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 PM

Took a closer look at the brake pressure switch and wiring and they appear OK.
I did put an amp meter across the fuse to see how many amps is being drawn and within a few seconds i started smelling hot wire insulation so i pulled the amp meter and started trying to locate where the smell was coming from and it seems to be under the van / engine compartment so I'm thinking abs module or wiring to it.... despite the hot wire everything else functions still short of the original issues with the van.

Ill have to get under there and get the shielding off the abs module disconnect the wire harness and see if the short is still there or not?

Does anyone have a complete electrical diagram?????, might make it easier for me to trace things down as i haven't been able to find one yet!

Old 09-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Wiring schematics are broken down in to groups. I can send you a diagram/s and connector pin outs for the area's your poke'n around in.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Wiring schematics are broken down in to groups. I can send you a diagram/s and connector pin outs for the area's your poke'n around in.
If you can it would be much appreciated!!!!!!! i need something to trace the power feeds off of fuse #10 !!!

Old 10-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
PM sent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which transmission sensor is the culprit?