Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/)
-   -   1957 Ford upgrade to 302 SBF - Help (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/1957-ford-upgrade-302-sbf-help-6876/)

tomkieffer 01-29-2007 03:00 PM

1957 Ford upgrade to 302 SBF - Help

Hi all,

I'm replacing a worn out 223 six cylinder and Ford-O-Matic in my '57 sedan with a 302/FMX combo out of a '79 T-Bird. I'm sure it's been done a thousand times plus but I have a few questions and may need some parts. My big concern now is the motor and trans crossmember mounts. Does anyone fabricate these parts for an easy bolt in job. The other things come later, driveline fabrication, radiator recore, linkage, etc.

Appreciate any help. suggestions, comments. If you've been there, done it, then pass on some of your suggestions.

Thanx,
Tom

goinstrong 02-27-2007 07:53 PM

RE: 1957 Ford upgrade to 302 SBF - Help

It sounds like a great power change. Keep in mind that a 6 cylinder requires a lower-geared rear than a V-8. Therefore you may do wheelies and ultimately rip out your rear end gears over time when you change engines. They do make three different oil pans for 289/302's that are either front, rear or double sump to clear the crossmember. You have to buy the pickup tube to match for the oil pump when you change. Next - motor mounts. Many cars had the 289/302 blocks and many different mounts exist. however you are dealing with one of the tougher deals of going from a 6 to a V-8. The motor mounts will be the tougher deal. First you must have the 302 motor and trans. assembly ready to install. Then you need to take your engine crane and hangthe assemblyin the engine compartment in the approximate area it should sit. If the oil pan clears the crossmember then check how far off the motor mounts are from where they should bolt. Last, when the engine is ready to fit in do so (assuming the trans. isn't too tight a fit) - then take a piece of 2X4 slightly wider than the trans pan and put it on a small jack - jack up the trans. under the pan and check for proper firewall clearance. If the FMX trans is too big select a smaller mustangtrans. to make room (allow 3/4 inch minimum ,if possible, trans. to body clearance). Then check your crossmember to see if you can fit it with slight modification (it could be as little as 1/8" off-center). Once the engine and trans. are set in you must deal with the drive shaft. You will need the shafts from both transmissions to make a hybrid if the u-joints are different sizes. There are driveshaft shops and machine shops that specialize in welding the proper length tube to the proper ends and balancing the new shaft assembly. Make sure you leave at least 1-1/2 inches short in the length for play (but not too much) so the shaft doesn't crash out the tail housing of the transmission. Good Luck.