Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/)
-   -   1964 Falcon Transmission Problem (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/1964-falcon-transmission-problem-40528/)

Hazbro1964 08-28-2019 01:25 PM

1964 Falcon Transmission Problem

I have a 1964 Ford Falcon Futura 260 v8 with a 2 speed fordomatic transmission. The car was running great, but I could not drive it and it sat in my garage for over a year. That was a huge mistake. I got it running, but it was running very rough and is now having a transmission issue I believe. While accelerating the car runs through the gears okay, but when I come to a stop the car does not always go into that last gear and suddenly stops the car with a jolt. I think the transmission is going to dropout. I replaced the fuel pump and cleaned out the tank, replaced the carburetor and drained the transmission fluid and cleaned the transmission filter. The motor is running better, but I am still having the transmission problem. Any recommendation

Thanks,

Hayapower 08-28-2019 11:04 PM

Have you checked the vacuum modulator?

Hazbro1964 08-29-2019 10:58 AM

1964 Falcon Transmission Problem

Yes, I did replace the modulator valve. Does that year have any adjustments to the modulator?
Thanks

hanky 08-29-2019 11:14 AM

In case you missed them or maybe didn't say
Did you get rid of all the old gasoline and replace it with fresh gas?
If I'm not mistaken , did you use type "F" fluid in the trans ?
What happens if you shift to neutral before the trans should downshift when coming to a stop.?

Hazbro1964 08-29-2019 01:33 PM

Hanky,

I removed and cleaned the tank and installed a new fuel pump and carb. Also I replaced the transmission fluid with "F" and cleaned the filter. I have not tried to put it in neutral. It doesn't do it all the time as long if I am very careful and slow down to a crawl well before stopping.
I have only been driving it in my neighborhood, so going pretty slow anyways. The gears do not synchronize as it drops into the lowest gear and you get a sudden jolt and the car stops suddenly.

hanky 08-29-2019 02:26 PM

If,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the car performed fine prior to letting it set, it could only be a valve in the valve body hanging up . Sometimes when allowed to run a while and get used sometimes the problem will disappear. It is possible a piece of foreign material is causing one of the valves to hang up. What did the fluid and filter look like when you removed them?

Hazbro1964 09-03-2019 03:27 PM

The fluid was still fairly red. One thing I did not do was drain the oil in the bell housing, only the oil from the pan. I will try driving the car a little more, hopefully that works.

Thanks,

hanky 09-03-2019 04:19 PM

At one time I owned a 64 Falcon with a six engine. It was my wife's car and she loved it. It did not have power steering, but drove like it did. Had it for many years and it always started and ran very well. It was a grey color with red interior one of the best cars I ever owned. Hope you have the same luck with yours.