Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/)
-   -   ranchero dead short (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/ranchero-dead-short-40025/)

Chaz52 06-01-2019 10:17 AM

ranchero dead short

I converted my 64 Ranchero from a generator to a one wire alternator. Followed directions to the letter. Now I have a dead short on the taillight/brakelight/dome light. Key on, key off does not matter, as soon as i touch a fuse to the clip, it blows.I have looked at all of the light sockets, bulbs, and have inspected as much of the wiring as i can see and all are in good shape. i did leave the old regulator in place but do not believe it makes a difference. Tired of laying on cold floor, need help. Thanks.

hanky 06-01-2019 12:02 PM

If,,,,,,,,,,problem was not present before the chg syst work , yes/no ?

What make alt did you install ?
What wiring changes did you make?

Chaz52 06-01-2019 01:57 PM

dead short

problem did not occur until conversion. alternator and conversion kit came from falcon parts.com, no other work took place.

hanky 06-01-2019 04:37 PM

You state a one wire alternator, correct ?
There should be more wires coming off the alt, otherwise how does the alt know when to charge, increase or decrease charge output . Is this all supposed to be built into the alt based on voltage present at the one wire? What did you do with the wires coming off the voltage regulator?

Sanddoc 07-31-2019 08:08 AM

Hello
I've done the "one wire" conversion on all my older cars..
Your problem is not the Alt... does it turn you headlights on automatically?
One wire means that the diod attached to the Alt takes the place of the old VR...
It still has a field wire. HOT... runs to the Selonoid Can't remember off hand were the other wire runs to..
but there are many diagrams on the net.... I use Ford alt...
Have you done a Voltage test on the "fuse" clip?
You say with the key OFF and a fuse installed the fuse pops, but you say the lights are on even without the key
have you run the engine and did a voltage test on the battery? should be around 13.5 v. + - but over 12 v for sure
Sorry really its not voltage, its amperage... just to check, I'd use a higher amp fuse... to see what happens.
Best

hanky 08-01-2019 08:19 AM

I have never done a conversion over to a one wire system and are not familiar with the kit you received.

Anytime a recommended size fuse blows, there is a reason.
If you would care to list the steps exactly as you performed them, not necessarily as the instructions listed them, maybe we can come up with a cause for the fuse blowing.

I don't know where in your system the fuse is inserted or what else is connected to that circuit, but we should be able to follow where everything is connected to determine why there is a direct short and where it could be located. What do you think ?