Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Fairlane/Falcon/Galaxie/Gran Torino (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/)
-   -   Upper control arm (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/fairlane-falcon-galaxie-gran-torino-35/upper-control-arm-38221/)

Gil 07-09-2018 03:36 PM

Upper control arm

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,
I bought new wheels/tires for my 63 Fairlane a few weeks ago. When I removed the old ones, I found what you see in the picture. At some point someone cut off a piece of the control arms so they could fit wheels that were too wide, I also found they had put a washer on each stud to give it more clearance. Talk about ghetto fabrication! So now I'm on the hunt for some control arms and not having any luck, new or used. Are there other cars, Falcon, Galaxy that have the same part? Or can someone give me a good place to start looking?

Thanks,

Gil 07-23-2018 04:56 PM

Control arm fix?

2 Attachment(s)
I found some control arms at a salvage yard and had them shipped, no pictures were available to I took a chance. They were in pretty bad condition when they arrived, old rust and dirt. Once I cleaned them up, one of them had a few small holes. What do you guys think? I want to fix it before installing, would a welding shop be able to do something about this? They would work as is but I would feel a lot more comfortable getting it patched up to avoid future issues.

hanky 07-23-2018 05:58 PM

Some parts should not be welded. A qualified welding shop would be better able to answer that question.
Some guys just have no common sense when it comes to people's safety and they cut , remove, alter critical parts that mechanics and technicians can go to jail for doing some of those things not to mention the fines.

Gil 07-24-2018 05:48 PM

Well, so far I've been turned down by two places, liability issues. At first I was thinking I could remove the ones on car and have a shop fabricate a piece for the one cut out, now I know no one will touch them. Still waiting on other places a left message but not looking good. You were right hanky, some parts are not to be welded. I figure my fix is so minimal that I would feel comfortable if someone did a small weld to keep from spreading but I also see their side. Search goes on.

Hayapower 08-01-2018 11:00 AM

Welding the rusted through spring seat/well areas without patching in pieces would be difficult. Mig welding on pitted, rusted, scaled metals makes for weld popping, weld drop through, questionable welds etc. and large filled in weld areas,,, avoided.
On the arms with the pieces missing,, they were strong enough modified, :) and if they were mine, I’d make up some patches and mig weld them on. Possible adding in a gusset or doubler if any doubt on strength. Anyone, shop, coming at them with a torch, or stick welder, may be a better choice to move on.
Driveshafts, frames extended/shortened, axles narrowed. The control arms are soft pressed steel, and depending on the repair location, a fix doable IMO. Ball joint rivets get torched out quite often, mounting holes welded in and redrilled if wallered out etc. even drilled oversize.
Certainly understand the shop liability concern, but me,, I’d repair the originals if no others turn up..

Gil 08-01-2018 04:10 PM

PM sent Hayapower.

Thanks,