Ford Bronco One of the original SUVs, offered in both a full size Bronco, or the more compact Bronco II.

84 Bronco II no start, for starters

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 06:49 PM
Default 84 Bronco II no start, for starters

Acquired a Bronco II with a piece of property. It looks like it's been sitting in the same spot for years, at least 4 or 5 according to the neighbor. Guy we bought the land from handed me keys and a bill of sale at closing....SWEET! I've always wanted a BII.

So anyway, now that it was 'ours', I went over to it and stuck the key in the ignition, ya know, just to see if he handed me the right keys. THE BUZZER STARTED BUZZING! Whoa.... the battery looked like a derelict that had been sitting outside for five years! Well, it actually had sat there for five years with the hood open LOL. So, I twisted the key. Nothing. Then I stepped on the clutch and tried again. Clicks and clunks. The solenoid was pulling in.

Just out of goofiness, I took the starter side cable loose and scritched at it with my pocketknife and tightened it back up....tried again and IT CRANKED! Whoa....no jumper cables! Sprayed a shot of carb cleaner into the carb and it fired up! When I released the key, it died. Too quickly. Tried again and it started but as soon as I turned loose of the key it died. So, I gave it another shot of carb cleaner and this time I cranked on it, but when it started I let up on the clutch to cut out the safety and held the key to 'start' and it stayed running til it ran out of carb cleaner.

I'm figuring the first thing I need is a 12 dollar ignition switch. Not the lock cylinder but the actual electric switch up top of the steering column up under the dash. Then dump some gas in the tank, unhook the fuel line and crank until clean-looking gas comes out, and hook the fuel line back to a new fuel filter in the carb.

Am I missing any other first steps?

Bill

Oh, by the way, it does think it pumped up oil pressure. It was the correct level and color, and the coolant was green and full. No rust up under the radiator cap nor dipstick.