Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Crown Victoria (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-crown-victoria-27/)
-   -   2010 Crown Vic (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-crown-victoria-27/2010-crown-vic-40223/)

turbo15479 07-08-2019 08:11 PM

2010 Crown Vic

I bought a 2010 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor at auction. The police department was honest and said the air conditioning did not work and it needed a PCM. But I drove it home and the air conditioning and everything else worked fine. After 1,000 miles I was driving and the air conditioner would stay on a minute and go off for 5 minutes. The car continued to run well but the engine light was on. I drove 70 miles to home and had five codes. I was certain all these codes did not happen on a 70 mile drive so I bought a rebuilt PCM form Solo in Florida and I installed it. Everything on the OBDII side is working perfectly plus the air conditioning is working correctly again. I pulled the ABS code and it is not recognizing the new VIN number. I called Solo and he claims I need to have it flashed. So I called four Ford dealers and three said it was impossible and I needed the very expensive new PCM from them. One said they could reprogram the ABS module for $100.00. Can they reprogram the module to recognize the new VIN? Has anyone ever had this problem and successfully solved it? I did pull the VIN from the rebuilt PCM and it does not match the one on my car. Now I was told this PCM was plug and play and I know a sharp programmer can and should have had my original VIN in the rebuilt PCM. Thanks ahead for any input you have for me.

hanky 07-09-2019 03:04 AM

First,,,,,,,,,,, there is no such thing as plug and play with vehicles these days. Just about everything has to be "Programmed" to your specific vehicle.

A cooperating Ford dealer can reprogram and update the replacement PCM to your vehicle. For a FEE !

There is an alternative and that is , ~"A Capable Locksmith" with security clearance can access the info and reprogram your PCM, and Keys to your vehicle.
He/she probably won't charge as much as a dealership. Usually you can't even get the vehicle to start when PCM s are changed without doing a parameter reset on the replacement PCM. What usually happens, PCM gets replaced without resetting, vehicle won't start. So,,,,,, we reinstall the original PCM and now the vehicle is confused and will not start with the original PCM either. Now it is tow truck or dealer or locksmith time. Sure gets complicated , doesn't it ?.
By the way, some locksmiths will come to your location to do this.and also will some dealers, but better hold on to your wallet.

WilliamRichard 09-10-2019 12:45 PM

I don't think locksmith have such security clearance about programming PCM.

giddyup306 08-18-2020 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by turbo15479 (Post 114169)
I bought a 2010 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor at auction. The police department was honest and said the air conditioning did not work and it needed a PCM. But I drove it home and the air conditioning and everything else worked fine. After 1,000 miles I was driving and the air conditioner would stay on a minute and go off for 5 minutes. The car continued to run well but the engine light was on. I drove 70 miles to home and had five codes. I was certain all these codes did not happen on a 70 mile drive so I bought a rebuilt PCM form Solo in Florida and I installed it. Everything on the OBDII side is working perfectly plus the air conditioning is working correctly again. I pulled the ABS code and it is not recognizing the new VIN number. I called Solo and he claims I need to have it flashed. So I called four Ford dealers and three said it was impossible and I needed the very expensive new PCM from them. One said they could reprogram the ABS module for $100.00. Can they reprogram the module to recognize the new VIN? Has anyone ever had this problem and successfully solved it? I did pull the VIN from the rebuilt PCM and it does not match the one on my car. Now I was told this PCM was plug and play and I know a sharp programmer can and should have had my original VIN in the rebuilt PCM. Thanks ahead for any input you have for me.

PCM's RARELY ever go out. I'd check the waveform of the cam sensor on that bank. But most people don't have a scope. You can pull off that sensor and try and clean it off. I've cleaned off the WSS sensors on Dodge pickups when the speedo doesn't work. Lots of metal filings and it won't work. Then again, CMP sensors failure is extremely uncommon.