Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

2002 Crown Vic no forward drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Default 2002 Crown Vic no forward drive

My wife's 2002 Crown Victoria's transmission just took a dump. It has 126,000 miles on it, transmission was serviced 5,000 miles ago which included a complete flush including the torque converter & cooler, filter, Mercon 5, pan gasket, etc. Up to the time it failed the car was working fine, it shifted down when she started up a hill and the transmission sort of shifted into neutral as the engine wound up and then engaged and she continued up the hill. When she got home she described the event, I took it out for a short spin, everything seemed OK until I went to turn it around and backed up, also just fine until I put it in drive and it wouldn't move. Now it has no forward gears at all. I got it home, dropped the pan off the transmission, no sign of anything foreign in the oil or in the pan. The pan was pristine in appearance as there was no discoloration in the oil or residue on the inside of the pan or the magnet. There also was no noise like it even tried to shift or engage, if I give it some throttle, it will creep along at 2 or 3 mph. Looking for the gremlin! Any thoughts anyone?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Default Transmission Slipping

Gotta make sure the vehicle is full with fluid. Just because they flushed it doesnt mean they filled it properly. Check the fluid level at normal operating temperature while its running and in park. If its low, add more untill its filled to the correct level. If that still does not correct the issue, its possible that the trans was worn out and the fluid had not been changed regularly. Once a transmission gets to be old with alot of miles on it, flushing it can be harmful because the transmission can actually depend on the friction material that is floating around in the fluid for it to operate once they get that old. Coulda also be that they put the wrong type of fluid in it damaging it, only way to find that out would be to take a fluid sample and have it analyzed. Chances are, if your fluid is at the correct level, your going to need a replacment transmission.

Last edited by FordTech; 11-26-2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling e
Old 11-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Hi! Being as how I am the "they" that is referenced in the reply, I am 100% sure that it was full. I have faithfully serviced the car since it was new, I keep all the logs on it and the rest of my fleet. Nothing goes beyond service due. It definitely had Mercon V in it as I just bought 2 new cases when I picked up the filter kit. There has never, nor is there now, any sign of material in the transmission pan or on the magnet. At this point I am of the mind that it is either electrical or valve body problems, however my E150 did something similar and it turned out to be the torque converter. So, thanks for the input, it always helps to get a different viewpoint.

Last edited by grandmarq; 11-27-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Don't know if this is an acceptable question on this site but I'll ask and let the moderator decide: Anyone know of a reputable transmission rebuilder in the East Bay Area (Concord, Walnut Creek, Livermore) area that would do a complete rebuild and maybe also the J-Mod on my transmission? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:02 PM

Check for any chain repair shops. Aamco, Cottmans, Powers etc. Those are some locals we have. You can also order one from a rebuilder and install it yourself if you want. I do not know your area so I can't offer specifics for your area. Sorry.