Ford Crown Victoria The crown victoria, the choice of police forces all over the United States due to its size and available V8 engine

Recommendations for a bit more Power and handling improvement.. on a budget.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Default Recommendations for a bit more Power and handling improvement.. on a budget.

Pretty much my subject says it all.

I have a '99 CV not sport not PI

Let say I have a tight budget of like $300 a month. and I think of doing a few not very intrusive improvements

Dual exahust. What is recommended here?, I read it might also improve fuel economy, and add around 15HP, I've heard about flow masters, what do they do?, what will I need for this single to dual exahust conversion?

K&N performance filter. it is said to give around 15HP on the PI, I'm not sure about the regular CV.

Shocks, these are the first thing that come to my mind when thinking improvement of handling, I might be wrong...

Which are recommended?, I don't mind a stiffer ride if it will be safer for emergency maneuvers, will spring assisted struts improve handling?.

These 3 are the main things I wanna do to my CV, in my head it all makes great sense....

Any other improvement that would make improvement on acceleration and handling? Better Plugs and wires?

What would you do?

Thanks!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Default RE: Recommendations for a bit more Power and handling improvement.. on a budget.

PP:

The duals will certainly help.......assumiong the lower back pressure does not screw up some sensors (I doubt it). Be sure to get a cross over connection pipe to equalize both sides.

The K&N filters....I dunno. I have heard good and bad.

Suspension I know nothing about......

Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Default RE: Recommendations for a bit more Power and handling improvement.. on a budget.

For performance I think the best bang for your buck after dual exhaust would be to install underdrive pulleys. Just make sure your charging system/battery are up to snuff. After an underdrive pulley install let the car warm up to normal operating temp., put it in drive with your foot on the brake, and turn on your lights, a/c, heater fan on max, and work your wipers. Make sure the battery light does not come on. If it does you will probably need to reprogram your computer for a higher idle speed since the alternator turns slower than with stock pulleys.

My 2003 crown vic is a police interceptor with the 180 amp alternator and worked just fine with no reprograming after the pulley install. power all the way through the band from idle up. Worth the dough$$$$ I got my set from steeda for the mustang gt.

good luck

Old 02-11-2008, 01:39 PM

more power would be benefited from changing of the rear gear ratio. look at your door sticker and let us know what it says under AX. changing the rear gears will help. i have 5 Pnather platform cars and out of all of them, the 3.27 rear geared is better performance than the others with 3.08 and 2.73 gears. a good set up is along the lines of 3.27 or 3.55 gears. suspension wise, it would be a good thing to find some police sway bars to put on to help with handling and also by upgrading the wheels and tires. a little larger wheel size and a shorter sidewalled tire helps lots. you dont have the flex of the sidewall as much.