Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Econoline E Series (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-econoline-e-series-18/)
-   -   2000 E-250 V8 Break leak after pressing emergency (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-econoline-e-series-18/2000-e-250-v8-break-leak-after-pressing-emergency-40423/)

ridervanner 08-09-2019 09:58 AM

2000 E-250 V8 Break leak after pressing emergency

Hi Guys, I just bought used 2000 E-250 V8 Triton yesterday. After I came back back and parked it, I pressed emergency/parking break and then I noticed brake pedal sank down and there was no pressure. I looked down and I saw there was a leak at the front left side on the ground (right at the bottom/behind of the driver seat). Previous owner didnt inform me I guess.

Any guess if the whole brake line needs to be replaced? I should definitely take it to the mechanic for whole inspection (I should have done it before buying!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestion or future maintenance !

-Vanner

hanky 08-09-2019 12:31 PM

This is not an uncommon thing with vehicles that are exposed to road salt and calcium for dust control. It could look OK one minute and as happened here, burst under higher than normal brake pressure.

There are epoxy coated brake lines available for replacement and they can provide some peace of mind. I know NAPA sells them.
You will ,however, need to get the correct length because they are made to certain lengths and require forming to install correctly.., not that difficult a job.

As far as future maintenance , good maintenance pays nice dividends. You may need to invest some $$ early to get it up to where you want it, but they were a pretty dependable vehicle when maintained.

ridervanner 08-09-2019 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 114715)
This is not an uncommon thing with vehicles that are exposed to road salt and calcium for dust control. It could look OK one minute and as happened here, burst under higher than normal brake pressure.

There are epoxy coated brake lines available for replacement and they can provide some peace of mind. I know NAPA sells them.
You will ,however, need to get the correct length because they are made to certain lengths and require forming to install correctly.., not that difficult a job.

As far as future maintenance , good maintenance pays nice dividends. You may need to invest some $$ early to get it up to where you want it, but they were a pretty dependable vehicle when maintained.

Thank you for your reply! I topped up break fluid reservoir and tried again. Most of. the fluid leaked again at the spot (front left side right behind driver seat). Can I drive it slowly using emergency. break to a mechanic? It 1 mile away and not sure if tow truck can come inside my parking lot (height issue).

Also, I saw some break lines for ford e -250 at advanced auto store.

hanky 08-10-2019 06:44 AM

A lot depends on what kind of traffic and road conditions you will encounter on the way there. I suppose you might try driving slowly with hazard flashers on very early in the morning when traffic is least.
Only you know the conditions and if you feel you can handle them, you probably could do it.

ridervanner 08-10-2019 07:06 AM

Thanks!

ridervanner 08-10-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 114728)
A lot depends on what kind of traffic and road conditions you will encounter on the way there. I suppose you might try driving slowly with hazard flashers on very early in the morning when traffic is least.
Only you know the conditions and if you feel you can handle them, you probably could do it.

Which is the safe way to drive in this condition using lower gear ( 2 or 1 ) or normal 'D' ?

ridervanner 08-10-2019 05:07 PM

Fine lines sell pre bend/cut fitting brake lines(which I think I can install myself?):
https://www.carid.com/2000-ford-e-se...048134282.html
https://www.carid.com/2000-ford-e-se...048139947.html
https://www.carid.com/2000-ford-e-se...048134282.html

or Nicke copper line (which definitely I have to take to mech for installation):

hanky 08-11-2019 11:44 AM

Here's the thing,lol

If you drive in Low, you may not need the brakes at all , again depending on conditions.
If you drive in 2 ,the vehicle might upshift depending on how fast you go.
If you drive in Drive, again, depending on how much throttle you use, it will upshift and then if you need to slow down you could go directly to Low , but it takes longer to slow the vehicle down.
You might do best in 2 because if you don't use much throttle it will probably stay in 1st gear (LOW)

I don't have any idea what the conditions are where you will be driving, you will need to use your best judgement. So whichever decision you decide on , just be very careful and take it easy.

IF, you decide to do this yourself, make sure you have plenty of DOT3 brake fluid ,AND here's where the catcher comes in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when you go to bleed the brake line, you could run into a problem getting the bleeder screws loose in order to get the air out of the lines and system. That could be the worst part of the job. If this happens now more work comes up and maybe more expense. There is no way to tell until you go to open the bleeder screws. I would give this some serious thought and consider just which way you want to go. AND as always a second opinion never hurts.

ridervanner 08-11-2019 05:47 PM

I just noticed break is almost working when I fully press the pedal. I guess just one of the two circuit is broken (leak).

hanky 08-11-2019 06:36 PM

You are correct regarding 2 circuits.

I want you to know there is no joy giving you all these "bad" things that can happen, but there is more,. If you replace the one line ,you only need to be concerned with the bleeders involving that line. If ,however, both lines allow air to get into the lines because the reservoir went dry,, now all the bleeder screws are involved.. Please check with a local shop to make sure there is not a possible easier way. At least you have some idea where this can go.
If your brake master cyl has separate reservoirs for each line That is a plus, if not the above could apply.