Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Changed trans oil and found this....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Default Changed trans oil and found this....

Forum newbie here. Hope you can help me with this. When I dropped the pan this part was in the bottom. I can't see where it belongs in the trans. It looks like the factory plug for the dipstick tube. Found metal shavings in the bottom of the pan also so something is failing. Anyone know what it is?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Your correct in that its a dipstick hole plug. During assembly, when the dipstick is finally inserted the plug just drops into the pan.. Some metals are normal on the pan magnet. A teaspoon is generally considered normal (less is always better as long as its fine metals. So,, finding the plug also means the trans hasn't been serviced. How many miles on the clock?

Old 08-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Oddly enough, I had just read an article on this a few nights ago.

I am about to do my own transmission fluid change, and I too, may find such plug.

Glad that Hayapower answered you lfjen, because if I had not read that article, he may have been answering me the same question.

Cheers,

Econobug.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the reply! 218,000 on the odo for this baby with a first time filter change I'm guessing. Don't know of any mechanic that would put the factory plug back in the pan after a filter change LOL. Pan gasket looked factory too. Unfortunately, the pieces in the bottom of the pan are somewhat larger than the metal dust I usually find in a trans pan. About the size of a small pencil eraser from a mechanical pencil I would say. Van drives out good. Reverse seems to need a bit heavier foot to get it to move though. Don't know if I should tell the owner (a friend of mine) to spring for a rebuild or let it ride until she blows.