Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

transmission help on 1996 econoline

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 AM
Default transmission help on 1996 econoline

ok guys, thats not easy to admit so don't be too tough on me, i overfilled the transmission and now it's slipping, : took out over a quart and it's still not shifting like it should, has lots power when i throttle it for a second in Drive, but slips in reverse, i didn't drive the vehicle, but had it idling for about 10 min or so
question is.... after that happened, exhaust had a funny strong fume smell, and was smoking, question is, what seal did i pop and how hard is it to replace it,
like i said, easy on me......

Old 05-05-2014, 01:27 PM

ok, i think the smell was coming from the manifold, i had a spill, and the manifold was soaked, now i have the level down below the dipstick, and not sure how much oil to add, i took out a quart but it's still slipping, so adding back half a quart, and it might still slip because im certain the level isn't that precise, is there any chance i got air into the transmission? how would i purge it? can i drive it while it's low on oil and monitor so it doesn't overheat with my OTC scanner? can driving it get out the air bubbles if there are any?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:39 AM

My 93 big block had a shutter when cold but never sliped , i used one qt of B M trany trick shift oil ,worked like magic .

Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 AM

Finally got my transmission gasket, took the premium from napa, but it doesn't work, has metal holes at the bolts and my pan has raised holes, would be metal against metal, will have to return and go to a cork gasket, even though I know they're not as good.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:28 PM

it's never good when one overfills the trans. with fluid. it almost always makes them slip and burn out the clutches. and it may be time to have it checked out and or rebuilt or replaced.one never thinks of adding fluid until it's too late or they have problems with the trans.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Default any progress?

I know the gasket for the 5R55 changed from cork to rubber/metal several years ago. You may have the 4R, which is similar and what my '94 E150 has.
The overfill will cause the ATF to foam, which causes the pump to not be able to develop enough pressure to keep the clutches from slipping. The foam will settle out. and a gasket replace will obviously drain almost all the ATF, and you can start over on the fill.

So how is your van doing now?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Hi,
I'm pretty sure it's a E4OD, i replaced the cork gasket after replacing the filter, filled it, TQ shuttered like crazy, stalled out when i reversed, but i ignored it, kept my scanner on it to monitor transmission temp and it's staying around 150 degrees, it's almost impossible to figure out how much oil transmission has with the dipstick, to me it seems like it's back to normal, however i'm still watching it.
one thing i notice.. accessories seem to be giving the engine a little load during idle, power steering seems to turn harder then ever since then, but engine is running nice and seems to have decent power. replaced the original PCV valve, valve cover grommet was totally rotted out and cracked, I'm sure that will fix another vac leak.

Originally Posted by shadetreejack
I know the gasket for the 5R55 changed from cork to rubber/metal several years ago. You may have the 4R, which is similar and what my '94 E150 has.
The overfill will cause the ATF to foam, which causes the pump to not be able to develop enough pressure to keep the clutches from slipping. The foam will settle out. and a gasket replace will obviously drain almost all the ATF, and you can start over on the fill.

So how is your van doing now?