Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

A/C Air Flow

Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 PM
Default A/C Air Flow

I have a 2000 e250 van.The freon is good,no leaks,ac/heat seem to work correct,no obvious problems or noises.When I turn the speed ****(low,med,high) the high does not blow air out very hard/fast,its like it is on low.Any ideas on what that may be.Thanks

Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM

I have a very similar problem, haven't solved it yet. Whether on heat, vent, or A/C, I get almost no air. I'm wondering if there is a resistor block for the fan speed selector that goes bad or if it's the switch, or if the fan is the problem, or if these vans don't have a cabin air filter and there are leaves jamming the fan. I'm gong to access the fan and check for power to the fan and make sure it spins freely first. If anybody has dealt with this problem please advise.

Old 10-21-2018, 04:56 PM

Mine does not have the cabin air filter.I replaced the blower motor resistor and mine works good now.The air would come out but real slow even on high.The resistor gets old and rusty and does not work well or at all.The plug /male female connector is difficult to pull apart too so be ready with WD40 and pliers.Mine snapped so I got a new wire/plug at oriellys when I bought the resistor.Both were like $15-$20 each.On my E250 van I had to take out the battery and the plate it sits on and you can see the resistor screwed to the side wall of the blower housing .If its not the resistor it could be the actual switch/**** you turn that controls the fan speed(low mid high) and I saw they are pretty cheap too.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 PM

OK, thanks. Now I have a starting point.

Old 11-10-2018, 02:42 PM

I did a little troubleshooting on this and here's what I found. I disconnected the fan and I have power to the fan at the connector. To get at the connector, I had to remove the battery and battery tray. Then I pulled the harness up and replaced the battery. The Haynes manual said that the switch controlling fan speed is in the ground circuit ( do you think they could give me a wiring diagram? No.) so I checked the resistance of the ground from the connector and it varied with different fan speeds selected. Good power and good ground at the connector on the wiring harness side is good news. I checked resistance through the fan at the fan side of the connector and it was open so my problem is most likely in that area Without a wiring diagram I figure that the thermal resistor opens the circuit for the fan if it overheats or fails, so I ordered a thermal resistor. If that doesn't fix it, I might be replacing the fan.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:24 AM

I replaced the fan and thermal resistor. The old fan was bad and the new one works. I proved this to myself on the workbench. I can hear the fan spinning and it changes speeds as selected. The only problem is that I get very little air out of the defroster, more like warm air rising than getting blown by a fan, and nothing out of the dash or floor no matter what I select (vent, floor, or defrost). Temperature control is ok. I'm thinking that something is wrong in the air diverter system. Has anyone experienced this?