Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Econoline E Series (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-econoline-e-series-18/)
-   -   E-250 defrost / heat blower quit working (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-econoline-e-series-18/e-250-defrost-heat-blower-quit-working-254/)

ricknags 09-29-2004 01:25 AM

E-250 defrost / heat blower quit working

Hello all,

I have a 2000 E-250 van. The heater/defrost blower worked fine when I got it.. Then 1st, 2nd, and 3rd speed quit working on the fan switch. Now the high setting for the blower won't work.. . I checked in the power distribution box, the fuse was fine... i also switched the larger plug with the one for the horn.. is it a fan motor, bad switch or something else i'm missing.? I do have power coming to the switch.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Rick

yike 12-21-2004 10:45 PM

RE: E-250 defrost / heat blower quit working

I have the samew problem on mine but I still have "hi" speed. It's the rheostat, the dial switch that's bad. You could bypass it with a generic switch from Autozone or somewhere like that or just spend a few more bucks on a new one at the Ford Shop.

PTT 09-08-2005 12:04 AM

My 10 year old E150 conversion van did the same thing and it was the blower motor resistor. The lower speeds went out, then high speed quit. Replaced it and all was well for a month then blower motor kacked out! Good luck.

hockeyhitman69 09-11-2005 12:27 AM

yes sounds like thermal switch first the low speeds go and eventually high as well

Doyle 09-30-2005 02:47 AM

So your lower speeds went first until nothing worked......
My pattern went like this.....blower moter worked on lower speeds fine, but when switched to fast speed it would work a few minutes then blow fuse. This continued for about 5,000 miles (several months) until nothing worked. Replaced switch....wasn't that (I did this because I already had an extra switch and that was easier than going for the motor just in case).

No such luck, put a new blower in and Bingo! Works!

hockeyhitman69 09-30-2005 11:45 PM

blower motor resistor is called a thermal switch because it uses heat as its resistor

jezzy 12-22-2005 03:14 PM

its the resistor switch under hood easy to fix.had the same problem 2 screws hold it on

Ramrod48 12-23-2005 02:47 AM

yeppers mine lost hi speed first , real easy to replace, sometimes the connecter plug is a tad rough getting off

sarjes 07-23-2007 01:28 AM

Ok so I have the same problem! However fuses are good. Changed the thermal resistor and at the same time I figured I might as well change the motor fan. Still does not work what else do I check now. I noticed the lights for the switches is out. Could the speed switch be the problem?

Help! Any ideas would be appreciate it!

travisdean08 11-07-2008 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: jezzy

its the resistor switch under hood easy to fix.had the same problem 2 screws hold it on
is it behind the battery about 4 o'clock to theblower fan?