Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Econoline E Series (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-econoline-e-series-18/)
-   -   E150 Clunk/Thud sound when braking (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-econoline-e-series-18/e150-clunk-thud-sound-when-braking-26678/)

kharlanov 03-12-2012 10:14 PM

E150 Clunk/Thud sound when braking

I have a 2007 E150 4.6 V8 and noticed today the clunk or thud sound when I'd back up(turn wheel, brake lightly), brake(harder while driving), or turn my steering wheel (sometimes), and it always continues can clank twice or more while backing up or trying to back up into parking and turning the wheel

Wombat 11-13-2012 12:15 AM

Mine makes crunching sounds, especially when backing up in damp rainy weather. I wonder if the pads and/or calipers are sticking.

delgriffith 12-04-2012 09:52 PM

The rubber bushings around the caliper pins are probably worn out. Turn the wheel out to expose the caliper and grab it and try to rock it. It shouldn't move much if they are good. You can buy a brake hardware kit and replace them as well as the pad retainers. Get some caliper grease too and make sure the caliper pins are clean and greased.

If you ignore it, it won't likely cause any harm but your caliper pins will get crusty and not slide nicely which might cause you to have to replace your brakes sooner because the inside pad wears out much faster. If it were me, I'd look at how much pad is left and decide whether to do it immediately or wait till a full brake job is necessary.

Our 2008 E-250 has a funny habit of breaking the bolts that hold the caliper pins. That causes some serious clunking as the caliper is not held on by anything except the wheel. Kind of scary, but it didn't seem to inhibit braking. I think your 2007 is different though since the parts look different on rockauto.com

Wombat 12-05-2012 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by delgriffith (Post 76648)
The rubber bushings around the caliper pins are probably worn out. Turn the wheel out to expose the caliper and grab it and try to rock it. It shouldn't move much if they are good. You can buy a brake hardware kit and replace them as well as the pad retainers. Get some caliper grease too and make sure the caliper pins are clean and greased.

If you ignore it, it won't likely cause any harm but your caliper pins will get crusty and not slide nicely which might cause you to have to replace your brakes sooner because the inside pad wears out much faster. If it were me, I'd look at how much pad is left and decide whether to do it immediately or wait till a full brake job is necessary.

Our 2008 E-250 has a funny habit of breaking the bolts that hold the caliper pins. That causes some serious clunking as the caliper is not held on by anything except the wheel. Kind of scary, but it didn't seem to inhibit braking. I think your 2007 is different though since the parts look different on rockauto.com

That's a good answer - and I bet that's the problem and solution. Thanks!