Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Getting my E350 to fit in the underground parking. How would you mod this van?

Old 01-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Default Getting my E350 to fit in the underground parking. How would you mod this van?

Greetings, I am looking for advice on how to get my 1-ton 2003 E350 Diesel to fit in my parking garage.

The van is about 3-4 inches too tall, to fit under the entry door. I would like to learn about the most cost-effective ways to drop the overall height.

Sadly, airing down the tires isn't enough.

I have considered attaching spring compressors, to the front coils, and rigging some sort of threaded rod, onto the rear springs, so that I can crank the suspension down, drive into the garage, and then release the pressure, once I am in my parking spot. The parking spot has plenty of headroom. It is just getting it through the door that is the problem. (The parkade isn't mine, and is 100% concrete)

I only use the Van for road trips, so I don't think I need fancy airbag setups.

Could I just put drop shackles on the rear, and then a pair of airbags, and then pump them up and down, with a tire inflator? This would possibly fix the rear, however would still be well over $500 in parts, and just addresses the rear.

Are there straight swap airbags, for the front springs? I understand that if I air down the fronts, they would go out of camber, but for just driving 50 feet at 3mph, that would be no deal breaker for me.

Is there a product designed for this sort of thing? Do you guys have any unique ideas for a low cost solution?

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 AM

I have an '88 250 that sits too high for my liking and would like to lower it. I don't know the difference between a 250 and a 350 but I can tell you that the 250 gets its height at the front by way of I-beams that are almost straight whereas the 150s have a distinct drop in them, much like the front axle of a hot rod. The 250s get their height at the rear by way of the bracket that the forward end of the leaf spring mounts to which has the spring at the bottom of the frame. This bracket on a 150 has the spring at the top of the frame. I've bought 150 I-beams for mine and I'll see if I can get 150 leaf spring brackets but the springs of a 250 are 3" wide and the springs of a 150 are 2.5" wide so to fit the brackets, you need the springs too. I'm happy enough to do that because I don't like the look of it the way it is and because it never carries anything heavy, it rides way too harshly so narrower springs which should be softer will be good. If you want to do all that, it may give you enough drop but measure a known point (say, the side indicator lights front and rear) from the ground and compare to a 150 before you spend any money. If the drop 150 parts would give you is not enough, next step is www.airbagit.com As the name suggests, they sell air bag kits but also do drop beams which I gather have a greater drop than 150 beams (or there'd be no point) and lowering kits for the rear. This is usually for people who want their van "slammed". Depending on what your garage is made of and what type of door it has, you may be better off raising the door opening.