Ford Econoline E Series The full size van is alive and well at FMC, with the heart of the F series trucks in both cargo vans and passenger vans.

Milky oil

Old 12-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Default Milky oil

Hey everyone.

To get to the point there's a milkshake going on in my oil. It is a 1978 460 in my e350 campervan. Doing a compression test I had fairly decent compression in all of my cylinders with no big variables between any of them. When I took it to the shop they said that it was a blown head gasket. I took the heads off and the gaskets were perfectly fine. The mechanic seemed to brush me off pretty quickly when I was asking about it and didn't want to tell me what kind of tests they performed on the engine. He just kept saying it was a blown head gasket. I might be a young guy but I am good at reading bull****. Telling me they did a leak down test vs I need new head gaskets takes the same amount of time to spit out of their mouths.

I replaced the head gaskets and the intake manifold gasket as well thinking that it may have been a bad seal between the intake gasket and heads. As I was doing a cleanout of my oil I noticed that the coolant is still getting in. I studied a lot of posts on the forums, studied my manuals, torq specs, tightening patterns, and used thread sealer on my bolts. I also cleaned off my mating surfaces before reinstalling.

Now I'm pulling my heads off again and taking them to a different shop. Currently I can't do a leak down test since I'm in another state with a lack of a compressor.

The strange thing is that I'll fill the coolant and I can hear it dripping into the oil pan. I'm thinking of a few reasons why this is happening but am not sure if it could be anything else. My reasons are:

1. Improper installation.
2. Warped heads.
3. Cracked block.
4. Bad timing cover gasket.

If anyone could give me some advice I'd greatly appreciate it. There's definitely something that I'm missing. Probably the capability to do a proper leakown test.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:15 PM

milky oil is generally a sign of coolant in the oil. usually a blown head gasket or a cracked block

Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 PM

Do you recall if the engine overheated or was subject to really cold temps where freezing might have had a chance to do something? Instead of pulling the heads again , consider pulling the pan and using a cooling system pressure tester to see if you can pin down the area where the coolant is coming from. I don't recall whether the pan can be removed easily or if the engine needed to be raised to get the pan off. If coolant is getting into the cyl(s) the spark plugs may help provide some info.