Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Econoline E Series (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-econoline-e-series-18/)
-   -   Stranded (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-econoline-e-series-18/stranded-38730/)

dkarten 10-10-2018 12:56 PM

Stranded

1989 e250 with 5l won’t start, replaced distributor, new high pressure fuel pump, 46lbs fuel pressure but will not start, check engine light flickered on a few times while driving then engine died and will not start? CEL does not come on when ignition turned on , towed to shop that is unable to diagnose, any suggestions?

hanky 10-10-2018 01:42 PM

I know this sounds silly, but do you know if the shop checked all the fuses? A lot of places these days rely on computer codes and probably forgot to check things like power and grounds. The older systems are not that complicated and the basics will usually find the problem.

Use Common Sense 10-10-2018 11:20 PM

Seen this scenario a few times on the late 80's Fords of no start w/good fuel pressure. The biggest cause was bad grounding. The CPU needs a good clean ground for the injectors to operate. "No ground, No squirt". the easiest way to verify if it's a grounding issue is to see if the engine will fire up when fuel is sprayed into the intake. If it does, then check the small body ground coming off of the batteries negative terminal to ensure that it is good and has a clean connection. Since you need AIR. FUEL & SPARK to run, I would start here.

dkarten 10-11-2018 08:05 AM

Fuses & ground

i checked fuses myself before being towed to shop & will check again, will also check ground connections, no longer at shop so trying to diagnose myself any other suggestions would be helpful

dkarten 10-11-2018 08:52 PM

Injectors

Engine will start when primed with gas into intake, As far as I can tell I have power to injectors but they are not opening to allow fuel in, would this be a computer (ECM) issue ?

Use Common Sense 10-11-2018 11:09 PM

The small ground lead from the battery to the body also supplies the ground to the ECM's injector circuit. Without a good ground, the injectors will not work. If the lead is good coming off of the negative battery post, follow it to what I call a "Spider" connection and ensure those are good and clean. Also, Ford used to use regular in-line fuse connections for the negative body lead on the battery. If you have one of those types, make sure that is a good connection.

hanky 10-12-2018 03:38 AM

What you might try,
Make sure the injectors have power available to each of them (12 volts) with the key in the on position.
The EEC provides the ground to fire the injectors. Verify the ground is getting to the injectors when cranking the engine to start.
You can do this by checking only one injector.
Remember ,just looking at the ground connections does nothing you need to loosen and clean the connection !

dkarten 10-12-2018 07:12 AM

Injectors

I do have 12 volts at the injectors, EEC test does not work, I will continue to check ground connections

dkarten 10-27-2018 12:53 PM

Posting this for anyone with similar issue, problem was the ECM, computer that controls fuel injection, located under airbox at passenger side footwell, once replaced engine started immediately

hanky 10-27-2018 05:50 PM

Thanks for the update.
There have been problems with internal grounds within the ECM and if you exchanged it , no need for any further concern.