Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Edge (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-edge-73/)
-   -   2014 3.5L Edge waterpump?? (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-edge-73/2014-3-5l-edge-waterpump-46107/)

joeba 09-05-2022 12:12 PM

2014 3.5L Edge waterpump??

Hi
I'm looking at a 2014 Edge 115K, 3.5l. How bad are the internal water pump failures? From what I read I'm in the range at 115K for failure bewteen now and 150K..

Any insight would be great

Thanks

raski 09-05-2022 01:29 PM

They are bad enough that I would never own one. If not caught in time, the result likely would be a severely damaged or blown engine. Very costly to have the water pump replaced unless you do it yourself.
My advice pay attention to coolant level and oil level / condition. 100k or a sudden drop in coolant would be my water pump time for replacement.

hanky 09-05-2022 01:31 PM

As you know, Murphy's Law , kinda states,if it can , it will fail at a most inconvenient time. Knowing the estimated life, I would consider replacing it now when you can pick a convenient time . Nothing like a breakdown out in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow truck and still having to replace a water pump.
This would definitely be considered "Preventive Maintenance".. How do you feel about that?

joeba 09-05-2022 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by raski (Post 132714)
They are bad enough that I would never own one. If not caught in time, the result likely would be a severely damaged or blown engine. Very costly to have the water pump replaced unless you do it yourself.
My advice pay attention to coolant level and oil level / condition. 100k or a sudden drop in coolant would be my water pump time for replacement.

Thx for getting back... yeah i dont want to buy a car for 12k with 115k just to out 2to3 k into a damn $200 waterpump, or ripping the motor down in 3 month stupid design....thx again

joeba 09-05-2022 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 132715)
As you know, Murphy's Law , kinda states,if it can , it will fail at a most inconvenient time. Knowing the estimated life, I would consider replacing it now when you can pick a convenient time . Nothing like a breakdown out in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow truck and still having to replace a water pump.
This would definitely be considered "Preventive Maintenance".. How do you feel about that?

great 3k for waterpump job!!! Great engineering!

raski 09-06-2022 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by joeba (Post 132718)
great 3k for waterpump job!!! Great engineering!

I still scratch my head why engineers would design something like that. They must have been former Chrysler engineers with the 2.7 engine.

hanky 09-07-2022 08:56 AM

As instructors and technicians we blame the engineers. They know better than to offer an unreliable product, it makes them look bad, BUT , who makes the final decision is the "Bean Counters". A penny here and a penny there multiplied by the number of vehicles adds up to quite a saving. That almighty dollar is still what determines which way to go.