Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

'16 Transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 02:08 AM
Default '16 Transmission concerns

Sorry for the wall of text, but hope a few owners bear with me. . .

Bought a '16 Edge from a dealer one year ago. If it was up to me alone, I'd never own a new car, but the wife's opinions count too, and she won this battle. Overall, I like it, but I'm coming from a '93 Ranger (which I still love, warts and all). My biggest concern is the transmission, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed any issues with this model.

Early on, by biggest gripe was that from a stop, the car didn't immediately react to the gas pedal. If I was stopped, then hit the gas, I'd have to wait a second before I got a reaction. Very frustrating, but that gradually seems to have gotten better, or I've just gotten used to it. New car transmission learning I'm told, and that may be true.

More concerning is the instance I experienced on the highway. Slow traffic in the left lane (when will people learn the rules of the road!!!) so I'm in the right lane when the offender finally decides to cut me off. In the moment I see I have the poor bastard that was previously blocked by the SOB behind me, so I move left and floor it, at which point I'm thrown towards the windshield while the RPMs skyrocket. Yes, my transmission downshifted majorly and stayed there to the point that I was lucky I wasn't rearended!

For a couple of seconds of deceleration with the pedal floored I thought I was gonna have to pull over and then it kicked back in and everything seemed fine.

Happened a couple times after in the next month, though never for as long, and never in such dangerous circumstances. That was 9 months in, no issues I'm aware of for the last 3 months, but I'm not the primary driver. Like I said, new cars are new to me, but that seemed extreme for a "new car/transmission break-in period" excuse.

I want to think the fact I haven't experienced the problem lately means it was just adjustment, but damn, that was scary, and I payed too much for a potential transmission time-bomb.

Anybody else experienced similar issues, and if so, how has it progressed? Dealer says 'break-in period, no problems,' of course, but they weren't there. Been months since a similar instance, and I like the vehicle otherwise, besides ongoing rattle/noise issues that the dealer is still working on (they finally fixed the initial noise, but now we have a different, more intermittent, LOUDER noise: joy!). Despite my overall satisfaction, I certainly wouldn't recommend the vehicle at this point. Certainly not what I would expect for new car price. Eager to hear from other owners.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 AM

Sorry, forgot the details:
'16 Edge SE 2.0 4cyl AWD