Ford Edge This new crossover combines the economy of a compact car with the interior size and capabilities of an SUV.

Flat Towing wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Default Flat Towing wobble

I flat tow my 2017 Ford Edge behind my motorhome. Occasionally, when turning a corner, the Edge will begin violently shaking or wobbling. This is a very dangerous situation, when I am forced to pull the rig over on a very busy road or highway. I have been told that this is an electronic power steering problem because the front wheels are not returning to center after a turn. I have seen many accounts of this on line relating to Jeeps being flat towed. Jeep even provide the part number of a mopar Electronic Power Steering wire harness to solve the problem on Jeeps, but Ford tells me that they have never heard of the problem and they don't know where to beg into fix it. I have a Blue Ox towing plate on the car, a Blue Ox tow bar, and a Roadmaster Invisabrake supplemental braking system installed on the car. This problem should not be confused with the "Death Wobble" problem experienced on many heavy duty trucks. has anyone heard of this problem on Fords being flat towed?

Old 12-30-2017, 12:21 PM

what does the jeep wiring harness do; just power up the motor and steering wheel position sensor?
If thats all you need; tow with koeo and see if anything changes.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:42 PM
Default Flat towing wobble

I am guessing that the harness provided power to the steering, without powering up anything else.
Ford states that the battery should be disconnected while towing. The harness from the motorhome to the tow vehicle provides a trickle charge to the car battery. I don't know what you mean by koeo?

Old 12-31-2017, 12:13 AM

ford or any manufacturer wants to prevent battery discharge. you gotta key on to get into neutral unless your tcase has a neutral position...this will create a draw that may kill the battery regardless of the charge from the tow vehicle.

key on, engine off. do some testing...see if it solves the problem.

typically the caster setting promotes return to center of the front wheels. some electric power steering sytems use the motor to assist return to center and may run less caster.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:26 PM
Default Flat towing wobble

Thanks for the idea. I’ll try it. Ford manual for this car states: “start car, shift to neutral, turn ignition to off position, and disconnect the negative battery cable.” The car battery gets a trickle charge from the motorhome.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 AM

I too am experiencing the same problem described when flat towing a 2017 Ford Edge. Has anyone been able to find a resolution to this issue? My dealer has been very good in working with me, but they do not know of a fix. Ford customer service and the Ford service line have been worthless, telling myself and my dealer's service manager that the 2017 Ford Edge is not flat towable, which is simply not correct. I would love to hear if someone had come across a fix.

Last edited by Jhall131; 10-05-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:06 PM

Just joined the forum today and saw your post. I have a 2016 Titanium, 2wd and also tow behind my MH. I've towed for several thousand miles with no problems except for that wobble one time on a narrow back road. The car was pulled off the pavement onto the gravel shoulder on a really tight turn. It started to wobble, I pulled to a stop and started up again, no problems since. I think the wheels got kicked a bit and started the issue. I love to tow it, very smooth and a great car to have as my daily driver and tow. I don't disconnect the battery, I ran a charge line instead so the battery is always up, plus I don''t lose radio settings. Had to make a few other changes but otherwise it's good.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:09 PM

Jerry, I have a 2015 Edge Titanium AWD. Today I experienced the death wobble while towing my Edge behind our MH. I thought I had lost a tire on the drive or tag axle on the MH. Nope, our traveling partners were behind us and confirmed it was the Edge in a death wobble. They knew it for what it was because they tow a Jeep Cherokee and have experienced a similar issue.

Our circumstances were as follows:
We were traveling south on the ALCAN in the Yukon Territories. We were doing about 50 mph (80 kph for our Canadian friends). We were in a long sweeping curve going slightly up hill and to the right. The road was dry but being the ALCAN, it was a bit bumpy (frost heaves). I remember encountering a particularly solid bump and that was it - death wobble.

I pulled over and stopped in the road to check tire pressures. All were good including the Edge. That is when our friends informed us of what they had observed.

I’m a bit concerned about continuing to tow this vehicle as there seems to be no way to recover except to stop. That may be OK on a little used road but in any major city with potholes or bridge expansion joints I feel we are at risk. So, if anyone knows of a solution to this problem, I would be very interested in learning about it. As an FYI, we have successfully towed this vehicle for nearly 25,000 miles in 3 years.

Last edited by Brent Temple; 07-28-2019 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Update info
Old 07-28-2019, 08:25 PM
Default Edge wobble

As I said above, it only happened once and that was a year ago. I have no cure or have heard of none. Now that I know what caused mine (and yours) I'll try to avoid bumpy roads while turning if possible. I was doing just that but only at about 20-30 mph, a lot slower than yours. You had a scary one but I think for all normal towing its a great vehicle. Maybe a letter to Fomoco might get an answer

I see you have AWD, mine is 2WD so thats not the answer either.

Old 06-04-2022, 11:07 AM
Default EDGE Wobble

I have a 2018 Tit awd towing behind MH 4 down, and got the wobble twice just after hooking up and starting out less than two miles. Stopped and started out again w/o incident for the rest of that trip. But no fix is troubling when going 60mph on freeways and highway's. Mine happened at low speed and did not repeat again for that trip. It's been three years since the last reply here on this forum. Has any solution been found?