Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Escape (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-escape-19/)
-   -   03 Escape auto delay into reverse (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-escape-19/03-escape-auto-delay-into-reverse-31075/)

blazed16 12-21-2013 10:16 PM

03 Escape auto delay into reverse

Hey guys i know theres a thread posted about a 09 escape but i dont want to hyjack his thread with my question so i thought i would post my own thread about my issue.

So i own a 2003 ford escape xlt sport auto...
When putting into reverse it has a 3-4 second delay before it goes into gear.
This delay is only when putting into reverse as drive is instant like normal.

Some more info:
It happens when its warm or cold.
It does not jerk or shift hard when it goes into gear just has the delay.
I took it in yesterday and got a transmission flush done even though the fluid didnt look bad at all but the delay is still there.

it has 75,000miles.

I do have a intake leak so the rpm's sit at around 300-500 not sure if that would affect the reverse delay but thought i would mention it.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays!

hanky 12-22-2013 07:59 AM

As stated in the earlier post, the reverse clutch piston seal may be damaged and it is losing pressure on application, but eventually gets there. Not the kind of response you wanted to hear, but a good possibility. If there is a restriction in the path to the hydraulic clutch it may need to be opened up to confirm the diagnosis.

blazed16 12-24-2013 12:43 AM

does not sound good.Was hoping for better news haha.

My low rpm idle would not have anything to do with it? Cause today my idle was like 200-300 rpm and so i brought it up too 900 rpm and put to reverse and it went in reverse with no delay..

So if it is this reverse clutch piston will i just loose reverse but forward gears will still work as they should?

Just bought this damn thing 3000km ago and nothing but issues with it.

hanky 12-24-2013 03:18 AM

The vehicle could have more than one problem. Without more info a thorough diagnosis is speculation at best. Might be a good idea to get another opinion or two , but not with incomplete info from the internet. Consider having a good shop check it out thoroughly where they can observe different info that may not be available at this time.

If it is just the reverse clutch ,for example, it should only affect reverse.

blazed16 12-28-2013 03:24 PM

it goes in in a couple days to get intake manifold gaskets done and ill have him check the tranny.

blazed16 01-19-2014 06:56 PM

I had done a scan a few days ago and it showed this

P0705 Transmission range sensor circuit

So is this located in an easy spot to change and would this correct the delay?

makuloco2000 01-19-2014 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by blazed16 (Post 86484)
I had done a scan a few days ago and it showed this

P0705 Transmission range sensor circuit

So is this located in an easy spot to change and would this correct the delay?

Yes they are right on top of the trans and you don't need the alignment tool to do it either. The trans range sensor is very common problem on the cd4e no matter what vehicle it is in, and yes it can cause the delay.

blazed16 02-20-2014 10:52 AM

Hey guys just went to order the part for this and i get neutral safety switch.
Is this the same part?

Thought the transmission range sensor is different?

blazed16 02-26-2014 07:20 AM

Hey guys does someone have the answer to my last question. Is the neutral safety same as range sensor?

hanky 02-26-2014 11:04 AM

Yes !