Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

06 Escape ABS/4WD lights

Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Default 06 Escape ABS/4WD lights

I have a 2006 Ford Escape 4WD with 28000 miles.

Today the ABS light came on and stayed on and the 4WD light flashed while my wife was returning home from work.

I went to a car wash and took the washer to the wheels front and back then proceeded to the highway.

I drove the speed limit 60 mph and nothing. I then increased the speed to 65 pmh and still nothing.

At 70 mph the ABS Light came on and the 4WD light began flashing.

I pulled off the highway and stopped for a coffee and when I came out the lights went off. I drove home 15 miles at 60 mph and no lights so I once again jumped on the highway and as soon as I hit 70 mph, the lights came on.

Any ideas?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM

I just had the same problem with my '06 XLT V6. I recently just bought it used from a dealer and had a problem with it when I got it. There was a clunking noise coming from the rear everytime I turned so they wound up putting in a new differential, wheel bearings, rotors and some sensors. So when I saw these lights come on, I figured it had something to do with the reapirs mentioned above. I brought it back to the dealer and they hooked up the scanner. Apparently when the ABS lighs turns on and the 4WD light is flashing intermittently.....it is because a relay has been tripped. This one indicates that one of the wheels on the 4WD system has slipped and spun at speeds in excess of 131 km/h (sorry, I live in Canada). They reset it and sent me on my way. The only problem was that the day it happened I never had the wheel slip....especially not in excess of 131km/h. I figure it is a faulty wheel sensor or something so if it goes off again, I will go back and have them change it.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 AM

Apparently it is a limiter installed to reduce the speed of driving since the SUV has some roll-over issue. However I don't see how bypassing the ABS and 4WD system when you are going quicker accomplishes that as it probably makes the vehicle alot less safe to be driving at that speed.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm from Canada too, just used to using miles. I bought htis vehicle used for my wife to travel back and forth to work this winter as the snow was pretty bad this year and she travels into the snow belt area.

She has a heavy foot but since there was a lot of snow most of the winter she kept off the pedal and on nice days she took the car. Just happened that the other day she took the Escape and it was nice out and needless to say, she got on the pedal and the two dasj lights came on.

I just took the posititive cable off the battery for a few minutes hoping that will reset the codes and tomorrow I will head out to the highway and give it another shot to see what happens.

Thanks again.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Default Finally Fixed

Finally I got the ABS Light & 4WD Flashing light problem repaired.

Went to my local repair shop and put the Escape on the hoist. I looked at the right from axle and spun the wheel. Low and behold, there it was, a large crack on the ABS Ring.

My mechanic ordered a ABS Ring from the local Ford Dealer $40.13 (wholesale) price. My mechanic then installed the ABS Ring and charged me $32.00. Total Invoice with taxes $82.00 canadian.

Took the vehicle out on the highway and ran it at 130 kilometers per hour for 15 miles. No warning lights.

Before taking it in today, the lights were coming on in the city.

I guess I should of taken it in sooner. $82.00 is a pretty cheap fix!

Thanks for you help.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Glad you finally got it fixed. I had mine in the other day because the lights kept popping on everytime it was wet. When they hooked the computer up and took it for a drive they found that there was a "green" wire to one of the wheel sensors which was causing a short everytime it got wet. They replaced the wire and it seems to work now.....here's hoping!