Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Escape (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-escape-19/)
-   -   2002 Escape 3L V6 Intermittant Starter Solenoid Function (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-escape-19/2002-escape-3l-v6-intermittant-starter-solenoid-function-43864/)

tinkering 06-11-2021 01:45 AM

2002 Escape 3L V6 Intermittant Starter Solenoid Function

2002 Escape 3L V6
The starter solenoid just clicks sometimes, and then if you put a charger on the battery for 5 seconds the solenoid energizes the starter. The battery load tests Fair but not Poor. It doesn't seem like the starter or the battery to me. Inductive ammeter shows 120A draw from starter when energizing during a start. Start turns quick and healthy. What else can it be but a bad 'hold in' winding, a bad ground, or other loose connection/s? Is there something else on the starter circuits of these Escapes that I'm not aware of?
Thanks

hanky 06-11-2021 07:28 AM

A hold in winding, which is not used here, holds the drive in after it is engaged.
That is not a lot of draw for a 3 l engine. . Appears the starter or the cables have a problem.
What is the voltage at the battery at the time it attempts to start? and when it doesn't ?
Suggest voltage drop tests of the cables.
If original starter, you could be looking at a replacement starter.

tinkering 06-11-2021 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 125547)
A hold in winding, which is not used here, holds the drive in after it is engaged.
That is not a lot of draw for a 3 l engine. . Appears the starter or the cables have a problem.
What is the voltage at the battery at the time it attempts to start? and when it doesn't ?
Suggest voltage drop tests of the cables.
If original starter, you could be looking at a replacement starter.

Ya, I was thinking the pull in winding was bringing it up to the contacts but the hold in winding wasn't grabbing it.
​​​​You say there is a different kind of solenoid function here? News to me. How many amps draw should I be seeing on that starter/3L?
I will check those voltages/and drops.
It's an intermittent thing; hard to catch it when it won't turn over.
Thanks

hanky 06-12-2021 02:03 PM

You might like trying this.
Usually if possible , i would connect a test light (you need a couple to do this) to the output terminal of the starter solenoid and to the terminal that energizes the solenoid. That way I had a visual picture of where I lost full voltage with an intermittent problem.. When everything worked as it should the lights glowed brightly. Depending on which one lit dimly , that told me where to look. Fun , try it.

tinkering 06-12-2021 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 125565)
You might like trying this.
Usually if possible , i would connect a test light (you need a couple to do this) to the output terminal of the starter solenoid and to the terminal that energizes the solenoid. That way I had a visual picture of where I lost full voltage with an intermittent problem.. When everything worked as it should the lights glowed brightly. Depending on which one lit dimly , that told me where to look. Fun , try it.

That sounds great. Could you use a remote starter switch to do it by yourself?

hanky 06-12-2021 06:52 PM

I understand what you might be attempting to do, however, when you by-pass the usual set-up , you take those parts out of the equation and , there is nothing like actually seeing the culprit.

tinkering 06-12-2021 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 125571)
I understand what you might be attempting to do, however, when you by-pass the usual set-up , you take those parts out of the equation and , there is nothing like actually seeing the culprit.

Ok I get that. There will be two of us then. Thanks a bunch.