Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2004 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 10:14 PM
Default 2004 Headlights

This is it 183,000 kilometers on it when I bought it.
Hello from a newbie. My wife is from the Philippines and we go there in the winter often to get away from the cold. I got tired of being at the mercy of relatives to get around so we bought a 2004 Escape to keep at the house there. It needs new headlights, I tried to polish the old ones, but the silver on the reflectors is now dull gray from the humidity. I have tried searching for info, but no luck I would like to upgrade to the 05 headlights if they will fit. I know I will have to make adapters for the wiring harness as the plugs are different so all I need to know is if the will physically bolt in and look right? To me, it looks like they are the same shape, dimensions, and mounts, but I want to be sure before I invest my money.

I have noticed that compared to other forums I belong to there are not of answers to questions here, but I am hoping someone has the knowledge to help me. There are no emblems to tell what trim level this is, so all I can tell you is it's a 2.0 4 cylinder, all wheel drive with air, power locks, and windows. That is about it for extras, no cruise or any other goodies on it.

The other thing I need to fix when I go back is an oil leak, not sure if it's engine oil or trans at this point, but is there any common leak problems that I can look for when I go back?

Old 03-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Since no one replied I went to the bone yard to research the problem. The 05 lights will fit if you use 05 horn brackets to relocate the horns. I will be making wiring adaptors to change to the newer style plugs for the 05 headlights.

I'm still hoping someone can tell me about common oil leaks on the 2,0 so I know where to look?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:57 AM

125 views, and no replies or help? This forum is kind of worthless, I didn't even get a welcome as a new member! If that is the way it is here I will not bother to post how to make the wiring adaptors to install the later headlights when I do it, or anything else here.

Good bye!

Old 03-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Seems I replied to the lamps question.
I did look up the images on Ford Tech, and they looked like a fit. If you need any wire views, connectors etc, let me know.
What color was the lube that’s leaking?

Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM

It is too dirty to tell the color for sure, that is why I was asking about common leak areas. In the Philippines there are no self highpressure car washes like we have so I can't wash it off easily to see what is going on. I don't especially want to pay a shop to fix a leak I could do myself if I can help it. It isn't leaking real bad, but making a mess when I park it in the carport.

I could use info on the wiring so I can make the adaptors if you could. I can figure it out on my own if I have to but it would be easier if I had wiring info. I cut the plugs off an 05 from the bone yard and have new old style male plugs to make the adaptors, just need to figure out which wires to connect together.

Last edited by goes2fast; 03-23-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

I sent the connector views to your email. They have wire color/tracer, pin number/locations. If you want the front schematics, let me know..

For the leak/s, can you use spray de-greasers and H2o to clean the engine? Could be a up high cover bleed, front seal migrating back, pan, or RM.. Possibly trans, but if you don't see it leaking up higher on the block, Id be more suspect of a pan, RM.. Hopefully a simple drain plug

Old 03-23-2019, 02:13 PM

Thanks, I haven't seen any spray degreasers over there and can't take on the airplane so I will have to ask around when I go next time. The upper part of the engine is pretty clean, and drain plug is tight so I'm thinking either rear main or trans leaking somewhere unless there is somewhere mid-level engine that it could be coming from. I will probably have to take it to the dealer as much as I hate to. Trying to save my money to put into the house over there.

I was feeling like a prisoner there because I had to rely on relatives to go where I wanted, now I can go where I want when I want, so much more enjoyable to visit now.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Simple Green, mineral spirits/Diesel, are good degreasers, used caferfully and cautiously, but SG is caustic to aluminum, and the other flammable. When I cleaned the decades of goo from the underside flooring of my 69 Bird,, I sprayed it with diesel and gave it some soak time on a hot summers day, some brushing and more diesel. Then, when all the heavy was gone, the residual was hit with SG and some lite brushing,, followed by my pressure washer, but a decent hose should lend a hand. SG should be washed clean.. It came out sparkling clean with some perseverance and elbow grease...

Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think about using diesel, plenty of that over there!

Old 03-25-2019, 08:44 PM

My new headlights arrived today and I made the wiring adaptors.

Quick Reply: 2004 Headlights