Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford Escape (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-escape-19/)
-   -   2010 Escape Stereo and upper time/radio display quit working. (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-escape-19/2010-escape-stereo-upper-time-radio-display-quit-working-38350/)

Paxonator 07-30-2018 12:24 PM

2010 Escape Stereo and upper time/radio display quit working. (Blowing Fuse)

It was originally just the upper small display that would look garbled at times, but would start working after a few minutes. Then both that and the stereo just died, but not completely. The radio station we were last on still plays but we cannot change volume, channels, etc. All the buttons involving the stereo have no lights anymore. So the good part is we still have some music and we lucked out that we didn't have the volume cranked up when it died haha. One last question, is that little upper display tied in with the stereo completely or could this be two separate issues?

I've been googling and not finding much for an answer on what I myself can do. Has anyone heard of this issue or have any advice on what I can check?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

*EDIT*
I found fuse #14 (10A) blown. Which is FCIM (radio buttons), Front display module, GPS module. I replaced the fuse but it instantly blew the new fuse as soon as I inserted it.

hanky 07-30-2018 07:46 PM

Anytime a fuse blows it indicates usually a short to ground.
One way to determine why is to disconnect certain parts of the circuit from power. When you disconnect the shorted part the fuse won't blow.
Since you know what that fuse protects, you might try disconnecting each of the items one at a time until you find the culprit.

Paxonator 07-30-2018 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by hanky (Post 109037)
Anytime a fuse blows it indicates usually a short to ground.
One way to determine why is to disconnect certain parts of the circuit from power. When you disconnect the shorted part the fuse won't blow.
Since you know what that fuse protects, you might try disconnecting each of the items one at a time until you find the culprit.

Thanks, I was just thinking of unhooking that upper display that shows the time and whatnot to see what happens. I ordered some plastic tools online to help dismantle the dash. I called the dealership and they want $750 Canadian for that little display!

lester515 08-06-2018 11:02 AM

upper disdplay

i found on ebay an upper display for 45 Loonies and yes they are attached. it will display the song name and artist on the radio if your on a RDS radio station.

Paxonator 09-11-2018 05:31 PM

Finally got around to working on this. I disconnected the upper display and BAM radio controls work. So I need a new upper display. My stealership wants $750 for it! I guess I'll be scanning ebay or attempting to fix the old one myself.

Paxonator 09-11-2018 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by lester515 (Post 109150)
i found on ebay an upper display for 45 Loonies and yes they are attached. it will display the song name and artist on the radio if your on a RDS radio station.

Sweet deal, hopefully I can find one as cheap.

thesavo 10-12-2018 10:38 PM

I had my display go wonky in my 08 mariner. I gave it a hard tap on the top Fixed it right up