Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

2009 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:57 AM
KRB
Default 2009 Escape

I have a 2009 Escape XLT with 97,000 miles on it and have a few issues.
First is I get warning that I have a "Tire pressure sensor fault". Has anyone ever had to have these changed out? Is there a way to determine which sensor is bad or do you have to change out all of them? Is there any way to disconnect these?
Second, I've noticed that the transmission slams hard into second gear when taking off fast. Anyone ever had this issue and if so what did you have to do?
Lastly, I noyiced that when I stiop and the car is idling, that it is loud like a muffler or something has a hole in it. When I have had the car serviced I've had mechanic check for holes but they have never found anything. does anyone have any idea why it is so loud when idling?
Thanking you in advance

Old 01-13-2018, 02:30 PM

Usually the first thing you might do is check the pressures in all the tires.
If after driving the vehicle a short while , if you had to add air, the light should go out.
The only way to be sure which sensor may be acting up requires a Tire Pressure Monitor tool. They do have internal batteries that last from 5 to 10 years then the sensors have to be replaced, I might add, they go for around $75- 100 ea. The law went into effect in 2008 requiring all passenger type vehicles have tire pressure monitoring systems. It is "illegal" for any service facility to disable them and if a vehicle comes in with that light on ,the service facility is required to notify the customer of a problem the vehicle has and is not supposed to release the vehicle unless the owner assumes all responsibility! It is deemed a safety device and therefore should not be disabled.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:21 PM

OP

IDK if the tire pressure sensor fault can show which one. You can buy them if you do determine which one it is. Tire shop can put them in. rockauto.com has them for around $35 each

As mentioned check your tire pressure. If one is low fill it and see if light goes out. If it doesn't that tire valve is likely the problem

Hard shift...could be tranny or TPS (throttle position sensor) or your PCM was not updated with the 6 speed revisions that were going on back in 09 when the 6 speed auto was introduced in the escape. Those problems though were more "shift flare" (slip)...not hard shift

can't help from this side of the internet about noise at idle being "loud"...if t was exhaust leak you should hear it all the time vs just at idle