Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Accidentally Enabled MyKey/Don't Have 2nd Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 03:14 PM
Question Accidentally Enabled MyKey/Don't Have 2nd Key

So, I accidentally enabled MyKey yesterday on my 2017 Escape. I don't want or need it enabled. According to the dealership, the only way I can disable it is with the second key to the vehicle. I do not have the second key as it has been misplaced. I called the dealer to see if they could remove it somehow through OBDII or something else and was told I would have to purchase another keyfob because it is the only way. I am not prepared to pay $250+ for a key for a vehicle in which I am leasing for just another year. Are they really telling me the truth or trying to make an extra buck off of me? I really find it hard to believe that is the only way to remove or disable it when it is SO easy to enable. If it is, than this is a huge flaw as anyone could run into this exact scenario.

Does anyone have any idea as to what I should do? I am limited to 80MPH speed and some volume limiter as well as some other things I believe.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Ben

Old 09-27-2018, 04:46 AM

There are "Certified Locksmiths" that might be able to assist you. Certified means they have undergone a security check and are able to access certain info relating to vehicle security systems. You may need to shop around to find one, but they usually charge a lot less than dealerships.